Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Please check my application :)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    17

    Exclamation Please check my application :)

    Heyyyy again

    I like this forum, especially its look and feel!

    Anyway, I've been programming for some time now for Ubuntu (I was programming for windows prior to this) and I have to say that it's awesome!

    I am now getting used to Qt Creator and I have created a little, yet useful application, called Unity Launcher Creator, and let's you create launcher files (aka .desktop files) and add them shortcut actions, that's what actually makes this application differ from the simple desktop file creators!
    Here's a screenshot for you:


    I am generally very interested on learning packaging and I'd be glad if you could download my .deb file and tell me if I've done something wrong:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/85430924/ulc...untu1_i386.deb
    (for some inexplicable reason, this forum doesn't allow me to upload it here, so I have attached only the source code, which you could see and help me with it, especially with QT)

    I am waiting for comments about my DEB file, I am not sure that the image file is going where it should but it at least works for me, hah.

    Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing your comments
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png 1.png (59.9 KB, 12 views)
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    17

    Re: Please check my application :)

    Any feedback ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Canada, Montreal QC
    Beans
    1,809
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Please check my application :)

    Your application looks really nice. Definitely worth the work you put in it. You should announce this application on other websites, don't expect it to get very much traction from this subforum .
    Good luck and have fun programming for Ubuntu.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    17

    Smile Re: Please check my application :)

    Quote Originally Posted by cgroza View Post
    Your application looks really nice. Definitely worth the work you put in it. You should announce this application on other websites, don't expect it to get very much traction from this subforum .
    Good luck and have fun programming for Ubuntu.
    Yeah, it was quite difficult to make it, it took me about 2 days searching on how to do things, but it looks nice!

    Did you check the code? Any suggestion? What about the .deb file, did the installation worked out?

    Also, what other forums do you suggest? I want people to use my application but I am not sure where to post this...

  5. #5

    Re: Please check my application :)

    There is a forum for Packaging and Compiling Programs that might have some input on your .deb file. Personally I haven't used Ubuntu in ages and I only stick around for the programming talk.

    As for your code, I'm not a C++ programmer so I won't venture to critique your style, but you should comment! Learn correct documentation practices now and use them religiously; it may not be fun but it saves you a world of pain.

    I recommend, for your actual code (no comment on the QtCreator files which I don't understand anyway):

    1_ A comment at the top of every source or header file, before the #include lines or any other code, that describes how the stuff in the file is related and how it should be used.

    2_ A comment for every definition: for class and struct definitions, one that describes what the type does and how it's used; for object (data) definitions, one that describes the data in the object and what functions depend on or modify it; for function definitions, one that clearly describes the purpose of the function, how it's used, what its parameters are and what ranges it accepts, and what the return value is (if any).

    3_ Comments within functions only to walk the reader through complicated algorithms or explain the rationale for doing something in an unusual way. If your functions need comments to break up long lists of declarations or walls of code, then you should instead consider splitting your functions into smaller ones. (Your functions seem to be of reasonable length; the only one I might consider editing for clarity is on_createlauncher_clicked.)

    Comments within code should explain why, not what. If you find yourself writing comments that just paraphrase what your code is doing in English, then you should instead write the code itself more clearly. In a well-written program, what the code does is obvious; the comments explain why the author chose to write it that way.

    Comments on functions (at least, functions that are part of an external API) should describe what but not how: the caller shouldn't care what internal data structures or algorithms a function uses as long as the function's behavior is as described in the documentation. (An exception might be when the function uses an algorithm that might severely degrade performance when called with certain arguments, or has high memory requirements.)

    hmm, I gotta go comment some recent code...
    Last edited by trent.josephsen; June 16th, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: unclosed parenthetical statement

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    17

    Re: Please check my application :)

    Quote Originally Posted by trent.josephsen View Post
    There is a forum for Packaging and Compiling Programs that might have some input on your .deb file. Personally I haven't used Ubuntu in ages and I only stick around for the programming talk.

    As for your code, I'm not a C++ programmer so I won't venture to critique your style, but you should comment! Learn correct documentation practices now and use them religiously; it may not be fun but it saves you a world of pain.

    I recommend, for your actual code (no comment on the QtCreator files which I don't understand anyway):

    1_ A comment at the top of every source or header file, before the #include lines or any other code, that describes how the stuff in the file is related and how it should be used.

    2_ A comment for every definition: for class and struct definitions, one that describes what the type does and how it's used; for object (data) definitions, one that describes the data in the object and what functions depend on or modify it; for function definitions, one that clearly describes the purpose of the function, how it's used, what its parameters are and what ranges it accepts, and what the return value is (if any).

    3_ Comments within functions only to walk the reader through complicated algorithms or explain the rationale for doing something in an unusual way. If your functions need comments to break up long lists of declarations or walls of code, then you should instead consider splitting your functions into smaller ones. (Your functions seem to be of reasonable length; the only one I might consider editing for clarity is on_createlauncher_clicked.)

    Comments within code should explain why, not what. If you find yourself writing comments that just paraphrase what your code is doing in English, then you should instead write the code itself more clearly. In a well-written program, what the code does is obvious; the comments explain why the author chose to write it that way.

    Comments on functions (at least, functions that are part of an external API) should describe what but not how: the caller shouldn't care what internal data structures or algorithms a function uses as long as the function's behavior is as described in the documentation. (An exception might be when the function uses an algorithm that might severely degrade performance when called with certain arguments, or has high memory requirements.)

    hmm, I gotta go comment some recent code...
    All that you had to comment about was comments?

    Thanks for the info, I will save this on a file somewhere on my disk and I will look at it while I'm programming...
    Any other info about the code? Did the .deb worked for you (why nobody talks about my deb? It was hard to be made as well...!)

  7. #7

    Re: Please check my application :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox27 View Post
    All that you had to comment about was comments?
    Yeah, I don't really "do" C++ and I know nothing about packaging, but well-organized documentation is something of a hobby.

    Hope you find the other answers you're looking for.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Please check my application :)

    You might want to provide a build system for those wwho do not like or have Qt Creator. Gnu Make is a good one, here's an example Makefile for your situation.

    Code:
    CPP=g++
    CPPFLAGS=<insert Qt flags here>
    OBJECTS=mainwindow.o
    NAME=launcher-creator
    
    make: $(OBJECTS)
        $(CPP) $(OBJECTS) main.cpp $(CPPFLAGS) -o $(NAME)
    
    clean:
        rm -f $(OBECTS)
    You need to replace CPPFLAGS with the build flags, and indents with tabs. Also provide an install rule.

    Hope that helped a bit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    17

    Re: Please check my application :)

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    You might want to provide a build system for those who do not like or have Qt Creator. Gnu Make is a good one, here's an example Makefile for your situation.

    Code:
    CPP=g++
    CPPFLAGS=<insert Qt flags here>
    OBJECTS=mainwindow.o
    NAME=launcher-creator
    
    make: $(OBJECTS)
        $(CPP) $(OBJECTS) main.cpp $(CPPFLAGS) -o $(NAME)
    
    clean:
        rm -f $(OBECTS)
    You need to replace CPPFLAGS with the build flags, and indents with tabs. Also provide an install rule.

    Hope that helped a bit.
    Thanks for your example, but I think that if I run
    Code:
    qmake ulc.pro
    such a Qt-style Makefile is being created? Can I have both Makefiles?

    PS -> Looking forward for DEB-feedback and general about the application !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Please check my application :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox27 View Post
    Thanks for your example, but I think that if I run
    Code:
    qmake ulc.pro
    such a Qt-style Makefile is being created? Can I have both Makefiles?

    PS -> Looking forward for DEB-feedback and general about the application !
    Ah, I wondered what that did. More of a G* guy than a Q* one I'm afraid.

    As long as you have some sort of build system, fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •