Thread: True Beginner

Beans

True Beginner

Have a question as a truly new Ubuntu user. I recently partitioned an external hard drive to house my Mac OS X and installed ubuntu 11.10 as the sole OS on my computer (MacBook Pro). The installation went swimmingly (ran it by booting up from the Disk with the Ubuntu 11.10 ISO on it).

Where I'm lost is now when i turn on my computer my login screen isn't the traditional GUI. My only login choices are a fullscreen terminal style interface. Now i've been messing around with it for a few hours and have gotten to liking it a good bit. My question is not how to change it but directions to where to learn to utilize it. It would help if i knew what it was called in the first place.

Hope this was the right place to post.

-Gunn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: True Beginner

Welcome.

You could install Ubuntu-Tweak or Grub Customizer and fiddle around with the login screen some. (Ubuntu Tweak is in the repos and Grub Customizer is HERE with more info HERE)

(PS: You will get more help in future if you give your threads titles more descriptive of your problem. There is also a Mac sub-forum)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 14th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply! I figured out my own question with some more digging. I should learn to look more talk less i guess. Was looking for the name of Command Line Interface to look into it more.

And live and learn! I'll be more descriptive

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Heh, cool. Terminal/Command line, six of one, half a dozen of t'other.

Enjoy the OS and the Linux learning curve ... those two apps I mentioned should stick a graphic there at login if that is what you're after. I quite like the terminal login, too! Trouble is I suspect you're not getting the options of selecting a language, keyboard layout and desktop environment session along a bottom panel (you can install other desktop environments and choose them from the 'Sessions' pop-up at login).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 14th, 2012 at 04:28 AM.