Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ambiance theme doesn't apply to all apps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ambiance theme doesn't apply to all apps?

I normally don't install development versions. I just installed Beta 1 and updated. Several apps refuse to use the light themes, and look like windows 95. Firefox, chromium, synaptic, and any/all KDE apps so far. I have not tested all of them yet. Is this normal for the early iso's, or is this a bug?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ambiance theme doesn't apply to all apps?

Yes, I also like the light themes (Radiance rather than Ambiance) and also noticed that QQ was not using it yesterday. Firefox had odd icons, also. I'm sure it will be fixed in a while.
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Distro

I actually meant radiance. I always get them mixed up. Just making sure it wasn't just me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    I normally don't install development versions. I just installed Beta 1 and updated. Several apps refuse to use the light themes, and look like windows 95. Firefox, chromium, synaptic, and any/all KDE apps so far. I have not tested all of them yet. Is this normal for the early iso's, or is this a bug?
    Quantal right now is Alpha not Beta, so not uncommon to see breakage far beyond what you describe.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

radiance, which I don't use but obviously can check, seems about the same as it's been, ok except if using unity & lowering the panel opacity below 0.7000 or so. Apps like FF, synaptic, ect. that still use gtk2 (gtkrc..) seem fine here.
    (the color of the context menus may be slightly off, don't know having not used radiance often enough

Maybe you are on Kubuntu?, some mention of KDE in 1st. post though you tagged this thread 'ubuntu'

Beans

Awesome! Thanks for helping out. Would you mind reporting your result on the iso tracker?

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/219/builds

Find your build, and add your result to it. There's a wiki page with info on how to do it here -- you just need your ubuntu sso account. Feel free to ask questions!
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/ISO/Procedures

On your issue, this sounds like the bug I reported, which JUST got fixed.. Should show up in tomorrow's iso.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3/+bug/1010675

Check and see if gnome-settings-daemon is running. My guess is it's not. Try running gnome-settings-daemon in a terminal window, and likely there's an error and it will close. The fix for that bug is in the archive, it might fix itself to just update. The fix for me was to remove my config settings (for gnome and gtk) and reset unity.

Beans
    Distro

I'll check the updates tomorrow. I was getting an apport message about gnome-settings-daemon at boot. That is probably the culprit.

Beans
    Distro

Still not fixed on my end. Running gnome-settings-daemon gives: "** (gnome-settings-daemon:5846): WARNING **: Name taken or bus went away - shutting down" The light-themes apply to the core Ubuntu apps and sub menus, but not any other apps.

Beans

Still not fixed on my end. Running gnome-settings-daemon gives: "** (gnome-settings-daemon:5846): WARNING **: Name taken or bus went away - shutting down" The light-themes apply to the core Ubuntu apps and sub menus, but not any other apps.
    I'm using gnome classic at the moment and the theming was all messed up. I had selected Ambiance Dark or something quite a while ago from a gnome-shell session.

A work-around for me was to start gnome-control-center from the terminal and then select Ambiance - the default and only Ambiance theme available for selection in gnome classic.

Now everything is back to normal apart from the horrible white sub-menus in firefox etc. (and apart from ugly white lines on the sides and bottom of the active window on the bottom panel)!

EDIT: When I say "back to normal", I mean in terms of the theming at least.
    Last edited by paul_in_london; June 19th, 2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Addition

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paul_in_london View Post
    I'm using gnome classic ...
    Now everything is back to normal apart from the horrible white sub-menus in firefox etc. (and apart from ugly white lines on the sides and bottom of the active window on the bottom panel)!

EDIT: When I say "back to normal", I mean in terms of the theming at least.
    If you mean sub menus like in screen then that's 'fixable', though ATM the new gtk 3.5.4 has messed up some things in light-themes so may be better fixed when stuff settles out
    (firefox & some other apps, (gtk2), are adjusted thru the gtkrc file
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast