Thread: How to update pdflatex in Ubuntu 8

Beans

How to update pdflatex in Ubuntu 8

I use Ubuntu 8 and it included pdflatex, a program which turns my latex source into a pdf document. But when I run Synaptic Package manager, it's not there! (To be precise, there is nothing in between "pdfjam" and "pdftk" in the alphabetical list). So how can I update pdflatex? Does it actually come with a different package? (Actually in this implementation /usr/bin/pdflatex is just a link to /usr/bin/pdftex, but pdftex is not in the Synaptic alphabetical list either).

If you're a latex expert (or anything more than me, a novice), what I actually want is either the latex package "xfrac" or "nicefrac" so I can display inline fractions like "1/2" more nicely. If it's just a matter of downloading one of them and putting it in the right place, that will do, at least for now.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by peterballard; May 21st, 2012 at 04:54 AM. Reason: clarified "package" in 2nd para as latex package not ubuntu package

Beans

Re: How to update pdflatex in Ubuntu 8

The short answer to your question is that pdflatex is part of TeX/LaTeX. It's not a good idea just to update pdflatex, because your entire TeX system could break. I don't have access to a Ubuntu 8 system (it's quite old), so I don't know what the packages might be. On a recent Ubuntu system the packages would be called "texlive-*". Just search for "tex" on synaptic.

HTH,

Kirk

Beans

Sorry for the late reply. I solved my previous problem another way and came back to it today when I needed something else.

And the result: thank you! A texlive update was exactly what I needed.

Beans

I'm glad you solved your problem.

If one is a heavy user of TeX, it is best, IMO, not to install a distro's texlive packages, but to install texlive directly from the tug.org package and update texlive from their own update manager. That way, you always have all of the commonly used packages and many of the less commonly used.

With hard disk space so cheap and plentiful these days, I don't see the need to split up texlive into so many packages as Ubuntu, Fedora, gentoo, et al., do.

One the other hand, if you rarely use TeX, then a minimal system makes sense.