Thread: Can gnome classic be installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Can gnome classic be installed?

I want to install gnome classic in Quantal, but installing gnome-panel from SC lacked some packages and didn't install properly. I didn't take notes.

Is QQ ready for extras such as gnome classic or should I wait? I saw this post below but has anyone tried it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Alternatively, you could use GNOME Shell (or maybe GNOME Classic, I haven't tried) to get the other Nautilus app menu.

The bug will definitely be fixed before Ubuntu 12.10 is released.

I really like Quantal, the install was smooth and easy--it works wonderfully on my old machine, and it's beautiful. Good work!

Installed dual with Win8 and the difference between ease of use is huge. QQ wins that debate at my house.
    Last edited by critin; June 9th, 2012 at 03:32 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can gnome classic be installed?

Install the gnome-shell, you get gnome 3 and the classic desktop. This classic desktop is a similar version to gnome 2 but is not gnome 2. That original is not supported any more by its own developers.

The official way to get the classic is with the gnome-shell.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My experience with gnome-panel is this. I installed it after having my system configured and nvidia drivers install. Once gnome-panel was then installed it blew up and I couldn't recover.

Then a new ubuntu install and promptly installing gnome-panel fixed everything. Even after that nvidia installed also worked.

Its worked great ever since.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post

I really like Quantal, the install was smooth and easy--it works wonderfully on my old machine, and it's beautiful. Good work!

Installed dual with Win8 and the difference between ease of use is huge. QQ wins that debate at my house.
    Perhaps Precise Pangolin (12.04) is what you should install.
    Quantal Quetzal (12.10) is far from being a release. Right now it is more or less Precise Pangolin.
    But, during the development phase it will change and experience a number of breakages, until October 2012.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Perhaps Precise Pangolin (12.04) is what you should install.
    Quantal Quetzal (12.10) is far from being a release. Right now it is more or less Precise Pangolin.
    But, during the development phase it will change and experience a number of breakages, until October 2012.
    Thank you. Yes, I've had Precise since before its release, and I'm testing Quantal now. I just wanted to know if installing new desktops will break it. It sort of broke with gnome-panel from SC so I reinstalled. This time I wanted to ask first.

I know the best way to find out is to just try it, but I also know it isn't ready for elaborate customization. If Classic is something that will work the same as Precise, or if it is one of the proposed changes. Confusing aren't I? lol

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

@ wilee-nilee:

Thank you, I'm going to do it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    My experience with gnome-panel is this. I installed it after having my system configured and nvidia drivers install. Once gnome-panel was then installed it blew up and I couldn't recover.

Then a new ubuntu install and promptly installing gnome-panel fixed everything. Even after that nvidia installed also worked.

Its worked great ever since.
    Thanks, I'm glad to know this. That was my experience also, except with the nvidia drivers. I use the linux alternatives and didn't change them. So my issue was from a different cause I guess..

BTW, I notice a few more drivers are available in this version. Not nvidia but for other devices. Nice.

Beans
    Distro

I had to upgrade some packages before gnome shell would install. I did get gnome classic but it's unstable. I also tried gnome-session-fallback.
    Will go back to 2d and try again tomorrow.

Thanks all.