Thread: First random crash in 2 yrs of using Ubuntu - why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy First random crash in 2 yrs of using Ubuntu - why?

I've been running Ubuntu for a couple years, and I'm running Precise now on a Dell XPS 15. No problems so far; as the title says, I've never had a random crash - or at least I can't remember having one. Whenever the system's crashed it's because I've been doing something stupid - something identifiable. Anyway, it bothers me and I wonder if this is something that happens in Precise?

I was running two windows of LibreOffice and one window of Firefox on two desktops. It crashed while I was typing something in - fan sped up and everything froze, still had my pointer but I couldn't do anything, had to hard reset. I'm using Gnome Classic and Compiz, and I know Compiz is supposed to be pretty unstable, but it's been running for a week or two now with no problems so far. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Re: First random crash in 2 yrs of using Ubuntu - why?

Just remembered it was Thunderbird I had running, not Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Really hard to say, maybe some logs will tell, sounds kinda like overheat, but that is a guess.

Make sure the fans have a clean path I guess.

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks -- I'll keep an eye on the fan and maybe clean it out a bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ibozzie View Post
    I've been running Ubuntu for a couple years, and I'm running Precise now on a Dell XPS 15. No problems so far; as the title says, I've never had a random crash - or at least I can't remember having one. Whenever the system's crashed it's because I've been doing something stupid - something identifiable. Anyway, it bothers me and I wonder if this is something that happens in Precise?

I was running two windows of LibreOffice and one window of Firefox on two desktops. It crashed while I was typing something in - fan sped up and everything froze, still had my pointer but I couldn't do anything, had to hard reset. I'm using Gnome Classic and Compiz, and I know Compiz is supposed to be pretty unstable, but it's been running for a week or two now with no problems so far. Any ideas?
    If the mouse was still working, I doubt that the system itself actually crashed. More likely it was just under load and taking a while to respond (and perhaps some application actually had crashed).

Beans
    Distro

OK, thanks for the clarification. If it happens again I'll wait a while and see if the crashed application is killed.

Beans

If you run an application from the terminal then you will get detailed error messages when it crashes. You can use this info to troubleshoot, good luck!