[SOLVED]10.10 cannot detect settings, screen, graphics plus encryption issues
First of all sorry for a probably long post but I would like to explain exactly what happened and what actions were taken and what is the situation now.
I use ubuntu 10.10 and I am a first time linux user.
Here is the action history (not knowing if every action is relevant to the problem)
1) Trying to fix connection with my iphone I removed libimobiledevice1 package and I installed libimobiledevice2 package obeying to every recommendation of synaptic.
2) I decide to burn ubuntu 12.04 to a CD so that I can give it a try
3) I reboot and run ubuntu 12.04 from the CD using the "Try Ubuntu " option.
4) After reviewing 12.04 I reboot and OhOh there was the message ""Ubuntu cannot detect input settings, graphic cards blabla"
5) I try the option continue with low resolution result:nothing
6) I try the option log-in to terminal, there I am able to connect I remove libimobiledevice2 (sudo apt-get remove libimobiledevice2) and I reinstall 1 and reboot
7)No result, I enter again to terminal and I reinstall the fglrx and the ati drivers reboot
8 ) Nothing. Now my efforts are going to save my data I am trying from the 12.04 live cd to access my data. I have two disks. In the first disk I have my home folder encrypted and in the second I have the same files copied (I use it as a backup). None of the two disks I can mount and view their data (message says I do not have access)
9) I read everything that google can give me but no help
10) I come to the forum for help
So guys if anyone can help me to either restore my 10.10 or upgrade to 12.04 and safely have my data I would be more than thankful. I remind I have terminal access and live cd access.
Thanks in advance,
Last edited by BardGreece; June 1st, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Reason: to make it solved
Re: 10.10 cannot detect settings, screen, graphics plus encryption issues
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop did the trick
As for how I can access the second HDD with my encrypted data for this I couln'd find a solution
Last edited by BardGreece; June 1st, 2012 at 03:25 PM.