Thread: Kickstarter project taking Octave to android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Kickstarter project taking Octave to android

Here
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-android-world

I have mixed feelings about this, let me sort them out
    - the app being developed for this project, 'addi', is already available in the andoid market, and it's just so cool albeit it's still under heavy development.

- there is so much that needs to be done, and I'm not sure if by the time it's ready a better solution will be already available. So, I'm doubtful this Kickstarter project will be necessary. Given that the dev is asking for a $50k, I think it's a bit unrealistic.

So does anyone know of any other efforts to port Octave/Matlab to android? What's your take on the Kickstarter project?
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Kickstarter project taking Octave to android

Interesting! I have to checked it out. I always thought that stuff from octave/scilab/matlab category cannot be fully ported to Android. I mean, probably you can port the core functionality, but what about the additional toolboxes and so on?
    I don't know, however, how useful it is. For instance, I bought last year a C compiler from the Market - and it is very hard to use it on my 5 inch Android phone. Probably the idea was to use it on the larger screen tablets along with an physical keyboard. So I don't know what you can do with a port of Octave (or similar) on the Android OS. Maybe a quick plot? Consult the documentation? Run simple scripts?

Beans
    Distro

The app comes w/ a virtual keyboard that guesses the Octave/Matlab command. I only have to type the first couple of letters of each command then choose from the suggested ones. Currently, I think, it has 2D plotting capabilities but if I recall correctly it is still buggy. A very interesting project for sure, I'm just not sure if it's the best option available.

Beans

Post Re: Kickstarter project taking Octave to android

I am the dev of Addi. This is quite achievable and most of the technical achievements will occur regardless of the campaigns success. The achievements will come quickly too as some are past proof of concept phase. Campaign would allow it to be done in a much more professional way. Faster completion, more features especially in the GUI and most of all timely suppprt for users including bug fixes and feature requests. You can see the full list of deliverables on the project page. You can also send me questions through the project page.

Beans
    Distro

WoW!!! The dev himself is here. Let me first say that Addi will be an impressive project when completed. I hope you do not take my OP in any negative way. My main concern is that I feel it is too ambitious, although I completely understand the reasoning behind it. But, there is only a couple of weeks left and I think the $50,000 amount will be tough to reach.

I have a few questions/possible bug reports regarding Addi, but I'll submit those at your project page.

Thanks.

Beans

No worries. I like all the conversation this has drummed up. It will probably be proven that the campaign was too ambitious, and I am ok with and will continue forward. I will make it easier for people to provide more incremental funds and I will focus on this when allowed. It is just good for people to understand the principles of free software and understand the difficulties of funding development of sw that is given away freely (code and binary). For now, I will try my best with the campaign, until the end. Bug reports are very appreciated.