Thread: Can't tell Unity to associate file type to be opened with a particular application

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can't tell Unity to associate file type to be opened with a particular application

I just installed 11.10 64-bit. Then I installed texmaker. How do I tell Unity that when I double-click on a .tex file, it should be opened with texmaker?

If I right-click on a .tex file, one of the options is to open it with texmaker. However, if I select "Properties" and then the "Open With" tab, texmaker is not listed. When I click on "Show other applications", texmaker is not there, and there is no option to browse for it, as I recall
    there was in 10.10.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Can't tell Unity to associate file type to be opened with a particular applicatio

There is a problem with texmaker's .desktop file, see: http://code.google.com/p/texmaker/issues/detail?id=316

As a workaround, you can copy /usr/share/applications/texmaker.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications/ and perform the edit mentioned in that bug report:
    Code:
    Exec=texmaker %U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't tell Unity to associate file type to be opened with a particular applicatio

Thank you crdlb. Works great. I just edited the original file (using sudo) with the change you suggested, and then texmaker showed up in the list of applications to open .tex files with.

Just used your idea to solve a similar problem with the ipe drawing editor.

Beans

Thank you all!!

It worked for me too. Although I also edited /usr/share/applications/texmaker.desktop directly

Beans

I used it for LaTeXila and hope to prevent Firefox from opening my .aup (Audacity) files via this method.

Thanks and cheers!

EDIT: Worked fine with Audacity and some other applications. Again: great work!
    Last edited by PiHalbe; May 30th, 2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: checked if it works on more Apps