Thread: 80gig Music Collection over SMB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

80gig Music Collection over SMB

Hey there,

I am looking for ideas on how to better manage my music collection that lives on another Ubuntu box that is wireless over SMB/CIFS.

What I am looking for are things others have used to as a front-end to manage their large collections. I've tried rhythmbox, gmusicbrowser, exaile, and audacious. Currently, I am using audacious but I really want something with rhythmbox features that will actually play the music over the network and not take a day to rescan my collection. gmusicbrowser came close but playing the files over the network was incredibly choppy.

Thanks,

Skip

Beans

Re: 80gig Music Collection over SMB

First your going to want to invest in some hard cables. I have tried doing the media center over wifi and I have found that it buffers too often. Next I would recommend setting up an XBMC machine (runs on linux, windows, or can be partitioned on its own drive). Set up the xbmc and stream with smb over hardwire. I have this setup and it works like a charm.( and its pretty too)(album art, artist information, etc.) else you could copy the files over temporarily to the computer you want to use them from and then play from there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wouldn't it be better to use a DAAP server?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zensawa View Post
    First your going to want to invest in some hard cables. I have tried doing the media center over wifi and I have found that it buffers too often. Next I would recommend setting up an XBMC machine (runs on linux, windows, or can be partitioned on its own drive). Set up the xbmc and stream with smb over hardwire. I have this setup and it works like a charm.( and its pretty too)(album art, artist information, etc.) else you could copy the files over temporarily to the computer you want to use them from and then play from there.
    This is something i have been debating for some time, i have an Ubuntu media/file server currently just a samba share for anything else on my network to access. My media player (AC Ryan Playon HD 2 Mini - Highly recommended btw) accesses content via this share and music etc i just drag and drop into playlists when and what i feel like listening to (on PC). Its all hardwire with the wifi option for notebook etc. I have not yet come across a media file type that the player does not play, but i would like to set up some form of streaming for music etc.

I guess basically what my question is... pro's and con's on XBMC and Mediatomb? Will either automatically fetch album artwork and tags if they are missing? Who has used what, limitations and what you recommend?