Thread: is Orca a screen magnifier too?

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

is Orca a screen magnifier too?

My name is Tom. I am a new user of Ubuntu 12.04
    with very low eyesight.

During the install, I couldn't get Orca to load at all either in screen magnifier or screen reader modes, I have tried multiple machines with the same problem with no solution to think of.

With a SB audigy card, I was able to get Orca to speak after install, but not during the install process, and I haven't been able to find a screen magnifier at all.

Am using the 32-bit version of ubuntu 12.04 desktop
    since I was told the 64-bit version of ubuntu is broken.

My machine at home uses a Rocketfish 5.1 PCI Sound Card I purchased at Best Buy about 4 or 5 years ago since Sound Blaster Cards are getting tougher and tougher to find these days. I have looked, but have not been able to locate a sound blaster card anywhere for my PC at home, not something that costs less then $50-100 anyway... you mean to tell me ubuntu ONLY supports Sound blaster sound cards? common now! lol

I read in the ubuntu forums that Rocketfish is still a fairly new card. I'm like wait a minute, I've had this RocketFish card for about 5 years now! 5 years isn't old to me! lol

and if I'm supposed to buy a Sound Zlaster audio card, or some other supported audio card, where would I get one of those at? nobody sells Sound Blaster cards anymore unless your LUCKY enough to find one on ebay. what other audio card IS supported may I ask?

I wasn't able to locate a screen magnifier at all even after the install. I boot up Ubuntu and run orca but I see no options for screen magnification or high contrast options at all! just voice options in the config thats all.
    Last edited by bubazoo; May 20th, 2012 at 07:58 PM.