Thread: No thesaurus and hyphenation in LibreOffice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No thesaurus and hyphenation in LibreOffice

I use Ubuntu 10.04 and freshly installed LiberOffice. The issue is the following:
    The thesaurus and hyphenation packages are missing from the LibreOffice packages: libreoffice-thesaurus-* and libreoffice-hyphenation-*. Do you have an idea how can I install them?
    Last edited by michopop; July 10th, 2011 at 07:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No thesaurus and hyphenation in LibreOffice

Well, I got the thesaurus installed and working. It was a bit convoluted for me. I live in Canada and the language specified in LibreOffice is "English (Canada)" (Tools->Options->Language Settings->Languages).

The thesaurus package is called mythes and you have to install the appropriate one to your language as per the setting above. Since mythes-en-CA doesn't exist, I have to install mythes-en-US then rename the files in /usr/share/mythes by changing US to CA, restarted libreoffice and viola - thesaurus.

If you go to Tools->Options->Language Settings->Writing Aids and click on the first "Edit" button, you will see the different language aid groupings (Spelling, Grammar, Hyphenation, Thesaurus) and the associated modules that are installed. I also added the Grammar module by clicking on the "Get more dictionaries online" and installing "LanguageTools".

Now I'm off to find out about hyphenation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay - I got hyphenation installed using a similar process. I installed hyphen-en-US then renamed the file in /usr/share/hyphen to its CA counterpart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toz; July 10th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the reply, Toz, but unfortunately it doesn't help me a lot. I use multiple Languages - English, German, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Serbian - and I need all the thesauri and hyphenations in order to make LibreOffice work properly for me. This worked smoothly for OOO, but here simply the packages in the Ubuntu repositories are missing! On the other hand, in Synaptic Package Manager, in the info field of the different language packages, the following message is written:

Spelling dictionaries, hyphenation patterns, thesauri and help are not
    included in this package. There are some available in separate packages
    (myspell-*, libreoffice-hyphenation-*, libreoffice-thesaurus-*,
    libreoffice-help-*)

This means that LibreOffice has created these packages, but they are for some reason not in the Ubuntu repositories!

PS. In January 2011, this problem was reported as a bug - and that is the last time it is mentioned! There are six months since then and I cannot believe it is not yet solved, or that any alternative solution has been found!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I found a sollution:

1. First install "language-support-writing-*"
    2. Then install "openofficeo.org-thesaurus-*"

And it works!

PS. Before I have tried to install the ooo thesaurus, but it didn't function withot the first step.

Beans
    Distro

Or install the vanilla version from the LibO site. See [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. the same applies to LibO.

Then check that one: [Troubleshooting] Spell check in OOo 3.x
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

#5 worked for me. Thanks!

Beans

Another method that worked for me:

Go to
    http://extensions.libreoffice.org/ex...ies=Dictionary

I downloaded spelling + thesaurus as an oxt file. It's an extension file to be installed via Tools / Extension manager - and it worked.