Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    78

    How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    I installed VirtualBox on ubuntu 12.04 and downloaded an xp iso and stored it in my home folder, however, when trying to set it up it said "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted."
    Please advise.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Beans
    446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    It is illegal to download XP and install on a vmachine but I will explain what you are doing wrong. When you start a VMachine you must tell vbox to mount the iso or a CD you in your drive. So after you start the vmachine click on devices in the global menu. Next under CD/DVD devices choose "Choose a virtual disk file..." and then select your iso and reset your vmachine. Then when you are done go back to the CD/DVD devices menu and click on the mounted iso to unmount.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    78

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    It is illegal to download XP and install on a vmachine but I will explain what you are doing wrong. When you start a VMachine you must tell vbox to mount the iso or a CD you in your drive. So after you start the vmachine click on devices in the global menu. Next under CD/DVD devices choose "Choose a virtual disk file..." and then select your iso and reset your vmachine. Then when you are done go back to the CD/DVD devices menu and click on the mounted iso to unmount.
    I have the registration key, but not a disc with the iso so i downloaded it from microsofts site.
    After creating a new vm on first run it has this wizard, under media source I selected the iso, then i clicked next and start. Is this right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    Quote Originally Posted by p.wolf View Post
    I have the registration key, but not a disc with the iso so i downloaded it from microsofts site.
    After creating a new vm on first run it has this wizard, under media source I selected the iso, then i clicked next and start. Is this right?
    Yes, that's how you do it. It should now boot to the installation and install it to your VirtualBox VM file.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    196
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    Quote Originally Posted by p.wolf View Post
    After creating a new vm on first run it has this wizard, under media source I selected the iso, then i clicked next and start. Is this right?
    Sounds right to me. You may have a bad .iso file.

    The way I did mine, I did not mount it or anything like that. I just copied the .iso file to a folder normally accessable (such as /home) and then pointed VirtualBox to that .iso.

    You may have to delete and re-create the VM on your next try.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    78

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    The iso is in my home folder and I tried this several times, failed every time. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    365

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    78

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    Followed his instructions, still same result.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Beans
    446
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    Quote Originally Posted by p.wolf View Post
    Followed his instructions, still same result.
    Maybe something is wrong with the iso then. That would be the only reason, or else it should boot. If you want to test it, in the same vmachine mount a Ubuntu live cd and check it that works.
    Last edited by PhantomTurtle; May 20th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    78

    Re: How to set up a windows xp virtual machine?

    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTurtle View Post
    Maybe something is wrong with the iso then. That would be the only reason, or else it should boot.
    Do you know where I could get a working copy of windows xp? I have the registration key, just not the disc, so it should be legal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •