Thread: grub2 can't see hd1 from inside VirtualBox

Beans

grub2 can't see hd1 from inside VirtualBox

Hey gang, trying to get a copy of Windows XP (installed on the first partition of my second hard disk) to run within VirtualBox. The method (from here and here) involves creating a bootable iso of my grub2 configuration and loading the environment through that.

After several attempts to boot XP, I eventually realized it was failing because grub2 can't see my second hard disk, and therefore any attempt to reference it or any of it's filesystems fail. This probably isn't the only problem, but it's obviously one I'll have to solve before I get there.

So anyway, if anybody out there has solved this or similar problems, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. My machine is a Dell 5100 running Ocelot 64 bit, Vbox version 4.1.14 from the Sun site, although I got the same error from the regular dist version (4.1.2 I think). If anybody wants more info (like the grub.cfg or the actual error messages) I'll be glad to post it, but I was hoping someone might have a quick answer.

Thanks,
    MikeD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: grub2 can't see hd1 from inside VirtualBox

So if I get this correct you have XP there and want to boot it with grub, if you don't have a actual OS installed with grub you can just load the windows bootloader if you havs XP cd. Grub can be setup to run without a os though. To use grub by itself to boot XP is the long way to go there is actually a bootloader called lilo that would do the boot.

The best way for us to see, at least me anyway to see, what you have would be to boot a live ubuntu cd in that virtual set up and download this link extract it to your desktop and run the command. This generates a results.txt, then copy and paste all the text from that to a reply. When you do this open the reply click on the # in the panel of the reply to generate code tags a then paste the text between them.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Code:
    sudo bash ~/Desktop/bootinfoscript

Beans

grub2 can't see hd1 from inside VirtualBox

This is a repost of an article originally posted to the 'General Help' forum:

Hey gang, trying to get a copy of Windows XP (installed on the first partition of my second hard disk) to run within VirtualBox. The method (from here and here) involves creating a bootable iso of my grub2 configuration and loading the environment through that.

After several attempts to boot XP, I eventually realized it was failing because grub2 can't see my second hard disk, and therefore any attempt to reference it or any of it's filesystems fail. This probably isn't the only problem, but it's obviously one I'll have to solve before I get there.

So anyway, if anybody out there has solved this or similar problems, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. My machine is a Dell 5100 running Ocelot 64 bit, Vbox version 4.1.14 from the Sun site, although I got the same error from the regular dist version (4.1.2 I think). If anybody wants more info (like the grub.cfg or the actual error messages) I'll be glad to post it, but I was hoping someone might have a quick answer.

Thanks,
    MikeD
    Last edited by mikeydeeeee; May 19th, 2012 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, but XP boots fine from grub2 normally, it's only when using VirtualBox from inside a running version of Kubuntu that I have the problem I described.

I have reposted the question to the Virtualization Forum here. Please direct any followups there.
    Last edited by mikeydeeeee; May 19th, 2012 at 03:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please don't create multiple threads on the same subject, I have merged your two threads.