Thread: Toshiba L655 and Terminal Questions

Beans

Cool Toshiba L655 and Terminal Questions

First of all sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I'm new here.

I have been trying to use this to fix the problem with my battery so that I can monitor it (http://techinterplay.com/fix-toshiba...sue-linux.html) and I got to the point where I am supposed to edit the file, however, I can use my delete key to delete the text, but I can not input new text.

Also, my webcam, It works with photobooth aps and whatnot, but when I try to use it on Facebook or another site I get the Allow or Deny pop-up and flash just freezes. I even tried (at my own discretion) to use my webcam on chat roulette and had the same problem.

EDIT:
    I also forgot to mention that my Search/Find option in Terminal does not work for me.

I've searched around quite a bit lately and haven't solved my issues yet. Any help is greatly appreciated. :/
    Last edited by vaccix; May 8th, 2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Forgot details

Beans

Re: Toshiba L655 and Terminal Questions

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Looks like its asking you to use vi to edit the file. vi is no an easy editor to use. Try replacing vi with nano (console text editor) or gedit (gui text editor) for an easier to use editor.

ahallubuntu is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

You've got several questions in one thread. It might be best to start separate threads about the webcam and about basic Terminal questions.

FYI, the article you link to mentions using the ancient "vi" text editor which predates Linux itself. Old-time Linux hackers use vi as a safe standby but it's a terribly unfriendly text editor. All you are trying to do is edit a text file, and you can do that with other text editors. Instead of vi try

gedit

which is much more friendly than vi.

(so instead of "vi DSDT.dsl" you'd type "gedit DSDT.dsl ".)

FYI, this article you link to is an advanced change in my opinion, not something I would recommend to someone who isn't comfortable using a terminal. The author of that post created a custom kernel for Ubuntu 11.10 just to add the changes; maybe he has or will do the same for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for you?

Beans

Thanks for the replies guys!
    Yeah sorry for so many questions, I'm just new with linux and I learn better with somebody showing me how to do things in person and nobody I know uses linux. TYVM for the info too! Hopefully this makes it easier.