Thread: How to get the BEST!! Video quality

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question How to get the BEST!! Video quality

Okay I am going through my first trial run of a HTPC. I have Mythbuntu 10.04 installed on a HP slimline. The HP slimline has a 1 TB Western Digital drive and a Nvidia GT430 card. So far I am loving this machine even though this is not going to be my final HTPC it may retire to a frontend.

So here is my issue I am wanting to transfer all of my DVDs to the HTPC so I can browse them. My first thought was to use K9copy and make .iso files of the DVDs so I could keep all of the features but the quality seems to somehow deteriorate and the files are huge! So then I tried handbrake with 2-pass decomb and deblocking this takes 4+ hours to do and the files ends up nicely sized at about 2 gigs but the quality was even worse than the k9copy .iso.

I need some advice on how to get the absolute best! quality DVD rip possible. I want to have chapters still available on the video but other than that I do not care what has to happen... amount of time video size.
    "I am what I am because of who we all are." - Leymah Gbowee

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How to get the BEST!! Video quality

Bump

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by w1ll1am View Post
    My first thought was to use K9copy and make .iso files of the DVDs so I could keep all of the features but the quality seems to somehow deteriorate and the files are huge!
    The files are huge because a typical ISO image is basically a copy of the disc. I'm unfamiliar with K9copy. Did you tell it to compress or re-encode, or did it make a copy? What did you use to view the resulting iso?

So then I tried handbrake with 2-pass decomb and deblocking this takes 4+ hours to do and the files ends up nicely sized at about 2 gigs but the quality was even worse than the k9copy .iso.
    What settings did you use?

I need some advice on how to get the absolute best! quality DVD rip possible.
    See FFmpeg and 'Fist of Fury' for a good tutorial.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: How to get the BEST!! Video quality

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    The files are huge because a typical ISO image is basically a copy of the disc. I'm unfamiliar with K9copy. Did you tell it to compress or re-encode, or did it make a copy? What did you use to view the resulting iso?
    I used the basic settings and those do compress the .iso file to fit onto a 4.7gig dvd so depending on the movie almost half. I used VLC to view and mythvideo.

What settings did you use?
    I do not remember what settings I used on handbreak but I read about which settings to use and I set everything to the best quality and it was still blocky.

See FFmpeg and 'Fist of Fury' for a good tutorial.
    I will go check it out now. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I checked out fists of furry and the video quality if pretty good but I did not blow it up on my 32in tv, just my laptop. Also for some reason the video plays at like 75% speed not 100%. Not too sure whats up with that.