I have a stock Dell Dimension 4600 (http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/sm/specs.htm) with 1GB with an AMD video card. I did a fresh install of Studio 12.04 from a USB drive. Everything seemed to be okay...until I started configuring things.

1. Firefox was extremely slow and sluggish, even before I synced it.

2. I loaded Audacious and tried to play an MP3. It stuttered the first second and then there was no sound at all, regardless of what sound server I chose. I tried a FLAC and got the same result. I installed Rhythmbox and got the same result.

3. I loaded Totem Movie Player and tried to play several videos (FLV, AVI, MPG, WMV). They all froze after the first second. Attempting to play back in Xine seemed to be working at first, but when I tried to seek search, the video froze and there was no further response.

4. I decided to try and load the proprietary AMD drivers to see if it would help with anything. Upon rebooting, I was able to get as far as the login screen, and then the OS froze while loading. I tried deleting xorg.conf in recovery mode and making sure aticonfig --initial was run, but I got the same exact result after rebooting.

I went through the first four or five pages of threads here in an attempt to figure out what was going on and see if anyone else had the same problem. I don't know what else to do at this point, but I thought I would at least tell you what happened with me.

One of these days I'll be able to afford to build a new machine and maybe I will stop having these horrific experiences EVERY TIME THERE'S AN UBUNTU UPGRADE.