Thread: Online Backup

Beans

Online Backup

What is the best (storage space is most important) online backup/data storage service that is free (or near free)? I don't care about folder sync, I would actually prefer not to have it or any bells or whistles for that matter. I just want to be able to upload my more important files (securely) and store them incase my hard drive crashes. The 5gb dropbox/ubuntu one has really isn't enough but I don't need a ton of space. I don't mind paying if it is cheap and gets me a lot more storage. Second too storage space, comes security. If I pay it would be nice to have a way to log any file transfers and login ip's and dates. And yes, I realize anything online can't be that secure, but some features would be nice.

Beans

Re: Online Backup

Just came out, so might not be quite ready yet, but https://drive.google.com/start#home It starts with 5 GB but has relatively cheap upgrades available (25 GB for $2.49/month for example). It has more features than just backup, which is good in my opinion, not sure if that's what you want, but either way it should get the job done.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Online Backup

Well, if you consider dropbox, sugarsync, google drive and all those a "backup" then go with it. There are plenty of those around with different pricing and different clients (attention: only few offer linux clients).

However, if I understand, you exclusively look for BACKUP.
    That being said I do understand that the mechanics itself is made by you and you "only" look for space to store those backups.

Now, I personally would recommend you a NAS (such as synology or the like).
    Depending on your need for it being "online" it is rather cost effective.
    A two bay set (RAID1) with 3 TByte harddisks might cost you around 500 USD (sorry, I am European, I have no idea how much it really might cost, your mileage will very likely differ).
    Those offer you simply file transfer (FTP, Samba) and you can let them work 24/7 and make it available on the internet for you.
    The costs (that thing will run likely three to five years) are also reasonable, I think.

If you do not want to have a box running in your home and really only want storage "out there", then its either all those fancy sync-thingies I mentioned first (which have more bells and whistles as you likely want) or something else.
    I do not know (without googling myself) any pure storage seller which are in the cloud. But I am pretty sure a google search might help you there.

cheers
    scheuri
    Ubuntu 11.10 64bit on Intel i5 2500 (3.3 GHz), 8 GB RAM (PC3-10666, DDR3), Asus Nvidia GeForce EN210 (1 GB, silent), OCZ Agility 3 60 GB for / and HDD 1 TB SATA-II (7200 rpm, 32 MB cache)for /home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Online Backup

Quote Originally Posted by jpdeaton View Post
    What is the best (storage space is most important) online backup/data storage service that is free (or near free)? I don't care about folder sync, I would actually prefer not to have it or any bells or whistles for that matter. I just want to be able to upload my more important files (securely) and store them incase my hard drive crashes. The 5gb dropbox/ubuntu one has really isn't enough but I don't need a ton of space. I don't mind paying if it is cheap and gets me a lot more storage. Second too storage space, comes security. If I pay it would be nice to have a way to log any file transfers and login ip's and dates. And yes, I realize anything online can't be that secure, but some features would be nice.
    I can recommend SugarSync

If you choose to sign up after clicking the link, we both get 500MB extra space, initial accounts start at 5GB and you can earn more storage by giving people your referral link.