Thread: Looking for an AMD Laptop to run ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Looking for an AMD Laptop to run ubuntu 12.04

I really like the price-points of the AMD laptops.
    I'm looking for a laptop that will be used 80% of the time for work, but also for the occasional game, so 3D support of the graphics card is important.

I'm looking at two models right now, but am worried about compatibility with Ubuntu. Can anyone offer suggestions?

The first laptop I'm looking at is:

HP Pavilion DV6Z Quad Edition
    Processor: AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon 7690M
    6GB RAM

The second laptop I'm looking at is:

ASUS A53TA-EH61
    Processor: A-Series A6-3400M
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 6520G
    4GB RAM

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Looking for an AMD Laptop to run ubuntu 12.04

I do not own either of those laptops, and after searching in different hardware testing places, I am getting nothing. In the past, and what I have gathered is:
    HP laptops work well with Ubuntu
    Asus laptops are some of the best, if not the best, with Ubuntu.
    AMD/ATI can hate on Xorg at times.
    3D support, that I know of, isn't really here yet.

With that said, if you can test these in the stores, that would be great. Just bring a live USB stick and test them out. If you are nice enough to them, at a big box store, they'll let you do it. Locals are going to be fine with it. Run the Ubuntu Hardware Test, and that will go over everything with it.
    --Corrytonapple----
    [Toshiba L455-S5008] [Intel Pentium 2.4GHz Procesor]
    [250GB HDD;4GB RAM] [Debian Wheezy 7.0 with GNOME 3][Fedora 16]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You might have some trouble getting a Llano-based system going. You are very likely to have a blank screen at initial install. Most users have success getting things going by plugging into an HDMI display, running the install, and then installing the proprietary drivers before trying the laptop display. I certainly recommend using 12.04 LTS for best support.
    HP ProBook 4530s - 4GB RAM - 12.04 AMD64

Beans

I have a Toshiba Phenom triple core w/4gb memory and AMD vision RS880M graphics; also blue-ray, running Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit (+ 3 other OS systems, including the Core w/KDI) and have not have any problems with it so far. The HDMI is excellent, (like I am an expert?) Had to wipe the HD clean before but that was my fault. Make a set of the windows disks and keep 'em handy, just in case. My other laptop is a hp 17 inch and that works fine also. No complaints from either but I use the Toshiba more because of the HDMI & Blue-Ray. I bought both laptops at Walmart, for what that is worth...
    However, I am looking at the ASUS top-of-the-line gaming machine, or the Dell 18 inch workstation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

AMD buggered the pooch on the proprietary Linux driver for the HD 7xxx series graphics. Unless it's changed in the last week or two, you might be staring at a black screen. Best google it before you buy.

In case yoi think the open source drivers will work ... Well, in the same act of dropping the ball they didn't supply the open source community with the needed info to update the open source drivers, either. Again, google it to see if that has been rectified.

Beans

Thanks to everyone who has posted.

Based on my digging, it looks like AMD laptops are a little less well supported than Intel laptops. However, it looks like AMD/Radeon support has gotten better with 11.10 and hopefully will be better still with 12.04.

I really like the idea of using an Ubuntu USB to try before I buy, but I'm not sure I can get away with that in most stores.

Fortunately, I have time before I make my purchase so I can still do research.