Thread: System Settings does not open in Precise Pangolin

Beans

System Settings does not open in Precise Pangolin

Just upgraded to Precise Pangolin. Works fine, with some glitches. For instance, some folders - like SYSTEM SETTINGS - will not open. Any clues as to how to correct this?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: System Settings does not open in Precise Pangolin

System Settings is a feature settings gui, not a folder

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Ok, my mistake, I am a beginner. This feature setting opened in Ocelot and now does not open in Pangolin. What to do?

Beans

What method did you use to upgrade?

Have you checked for and applied all updates?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Perhaps this is not the right place, but I have been having other problems since upgrading to Precise Pangolin. Every now and then an application closes unexpectedly and/or I get a message "system program problem detected". Then I try to report the problem and get the following message:

"The problem cannot be reported:

You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

gedit, dconf-gsettings-backend, gedit-common, gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, libcups2, libenchant1c2a, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0, libgssapi-krb5-2, libgtk-3-0, libgtksourceview-3.0-0, libgtksourceview-3.0-common, libjpeg8, libk5crypto3, libkrb5-3, libkrb5support0, libssl1.0.0, perl-base, xz-utils"

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I am a beginner, as I have said, but never had any problems with Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    What method did you use to upgrade?

Have you checked for and applied all updates?
    I used software upgrade.Somehow upgrade was incomplete and now I am offered partial upgrade, but that does not work. I keep getting messages such as the following one:

You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

gedit, dconf-gsettings-backend, gedit-common, gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, libcups2, libenchant1c2a, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0, libgssapi-krb5-2, libgtk-3-0, libgtksourceview-3.0-0, libgtksourceview-3.0-common, libjpeg8, libk5crypto3, libkrb5-3, libkrb5support0, libssl1.0.0, perl-base, xz-utils

or

apt, apt-utils, compiz-core, dconf-gsettings-backend, gconf2, gconf2-common, gir1.2-gconf-2.0, gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0, gir1.2-vte-2.90, libcompizconfig0, libcups2, libcurl3-gnutls, libgconf2-4, libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0, libgssapi-krb5-2, libgtk-3-0, libjpeg8, libk5crypto3, libkrb5-3, libkrb5support0, libldap-2.4-2, libssl1.0.0, libvte-2.90-9, libvte-common, libxfixes3, openssl, perl-base, python-apt, python-aptdaemon, python-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets, python-dbus, python-gobject, python-pycurl, xz-utils

Any clues on how to proceed? Please bear in mind I am a bit of a beginner. Tks

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

sudo apt-get install synaptic
    sudo synaptic

then update and look at broken package(s) (if any) on the left pane

Beans
    Distro

If you install a development version of Ubuntu, as you have done, then you should expect issues like the ones you are having. I have been getting messages like that since I started using 12.04 back in November. By doing daily updates those obsolete packages will be replaced and the problem will go away. This is my experience.

You should be able to select System Settings and it should open up a panel with icons for the various settings utilities.

This problem will be resolved when those obsolete packages are replaced. Once, a few months ago, the Software Centre was removed because some of the newer packages were available and were installed but others were not available. A few days later things were resolved and I could re-install Software Centre.

There is a way to fix this, if you do not want to wait.

Install Synaptic Package Manager and use it to search for each of the libraries and mark them for upgrade. They should already be showing a grey coloured icon.

When you are given a list of things that are going to be changed, check the things that are going to be removed and if it is something like Ubuntu-desktop do not allow that to be removed. Go back into Synaptic and remove the check mark against the thing that you do not want to remove.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I had a similar problem with System Settings, though in my case once I'd selected say, Appearance Settings to change the background, the whole app just hung and its window turned grey. Then once it had sorted itself out, it would take an age to close it. I noticed the CPU going to 100% in System Monitor at the same time. This was just the other day when I had Precise daily installed. I'll try again at release tomorrow.

I dunno if it's related, but it kind of sounds similar to me.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans

Dear Dino999, grahammechanical, BigSilly,
    thanks for your advice. I have installed the Synaptic Package Manager but have not had time to run it. Will try and do it tomorrow (in South Africa!)
    best regards