Thread: Netbook as a repeater / extender

Beans

Netbook as a repeater / extender

I have a netbook that we no longer use running on Ubuntu. It is an asus eee....something. Anyway is it possible to use this to extend the range of a connection? I want to log it onto my home network in the basement and then broadcast a signal for my other laptop to grab onto.

I cannot plug it in via cable because my routers ethernet ports dont work. I'm too cheap to replace it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Netbook as a repeater / extender

You'd need 2 wireless adaptors on that laptop in AP promiscuous mode, unless you have a old usb wireless adaptor (prism-based preferrably, probably impossible to find) you'll need to buy one (sicne you're 'too cheap' to buy a new router) I'll not continue this tutorial lol.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello

Run a few Ethernet cables and get a small switch.
    a 4 port switch on ebay will cost south of $50
    Saw this one for less then $10
    Not recommending you use this seller or site, but there are cheap options out there
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Much better idea ^_-
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans

If I was going to spend $50 I could just go to walmart and spend $30 on a range extender.

Can i connect the netbook to the router via wireless, and then connect my laptop to the netbook via ethernet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I could just go to walmart and spend $30 on a range extender.
    Thats a viable solution also, but working wireless to these device could be problematic

Can i connect the netbook to the router via wireless, and then connect my laptop to the netbook via ethernet?
    Can you connect to your router via wireless from your basement in the first place?

If so then try using ICS to share the connection to the Ethernet interface
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans

Yes, the spot under the stairs has great signal from the wifi, I just need it on the other side of the basement. So maybe I can connect the netbook under the stairs and run a cable to the laptop from it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes

Try the ICS link I sent you.

Internet connection sharing works in windows pretty well, but takes a bit of effort in *nix.
    You will see they talk about different interfaces,
    pick the one right for you