Thread: laptop only supports classic mode

Beans

Exclamation laptop only supports classic mode

ok, i have a compaq laptop, pretty good condition(aside from it running like its being overclocked on windows)3gb ram 2.7ghz amd with a 150gb hdd and i used the wubi installer to run it under windows like my desktop but it only will allow me to go into classic mode, it also made me choose from a list of 4 different ubuntu but all were classic mode and one was win 7(???) mode. i think its either 11.04 or 11.10 ubuntu but i also installed the same exact file on my desktop and it looks way better and works better, and my laptop is 3x more powerful then my desktop, is there any way to switch it to the better view or version or do i have to uninstall and reinstall and correct some stuff?

thanks in advance, it may be a little time between replys cause im also having problems with the wireless on both registering on ubuntu.

Beans

Re: laptop only supports classic mode

Very likely it has to do with the Video hardware compatibility. Have you run the drivers tool to see if there is a proprietary driver available for the laptop?

Do you happen to know what the Video hardware in the laptop is?

If not, open a terminal, type "lspci |grep -i vga" and post the output here.

Beans

Re: laptop only supports classic mode

i guess its obvious that im new to linux based os. but as soon as i get home ill try that and post

Beans

Talking Re: laptop only supports classic mode

ok yea im definately a noob, i accidentally ran an older version of ubuntu (the one with the narwhals or whatever it was) and just realized that its not the newest one(i downloaded it like last year and never ran it) so i installed the latest ubuntu and it works fine now. i guess if a moderator is around they can close this thread up.

thank you for your help and i wrote down the code just in case i do have a problem