Hello All,

I am new to linux world and building HA platform using vmware hypervisor ESXi with more than dozen of nodes. I am almost done with all my setup, only thing which is remaining is monitoring software.

I have decided to use Zabbix as monitoring software for our small private cloud being most lightweight and being frontend in php will be helpful for me to hack in. Now I have tried installing both 1.8.x and 2.0.x RC2 version of Zabbix and I liked 2.x more over the older version.

Zabbix 2.0 RC2 has to be installed from source and Ubuntu repos won't be having latest version till some time so I am installing Rc2 right now from source but if I have to install production/GA release once out how can I do that?

Can I simply overwrite the older version by make install from new source or I have to uninstall?

I am asking this question here as Zabbix do not recommend installing RC2 on production and so there won't be any upgrade scripts or help on RC2 to Final release.

I am hoping that removal/upgrade of software that were build from source has some generic solution.

Please help, thanks in advance.