Thread: Help! How to decrypt .ecryptfs files?

Beans

Help! How to decrypt .ecryptfs files?

Hello, I was running Ubuntu 11.04 in my tablet with the home folder encryption set. Later I formatted the hard drive, but figured that I had deleted files that I did not mean to. So using a Debian system I ran testdisk and photorec to recover every file from my hard drive. Now I have several thousands of files, but the ones that I am interested are the ones from my old Home Folder (which was encrypted).
    Would my files from my home folder be the ones that end with .eCryptfs (since they are encrypted)? And if my assumption is correct, how do I decrypt these files (ending with .eCryptfs)?

Note that the recovered files did not maintain their original name. Also note that the original directory tree was not maintained by photorec.

I should add that there is no .Private directory, all I have is thousands of .eCryptfs files and I know the password

I really need this, Thank you
    Last edited by pretobomba; October 18th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

Re: Help! How to decrypt .ecryptfs files?

Hey, this thread shows as solved, did you solve it? I have exactly the same situation here. Could you please describe what you did to solve this?

Beans

Re: Help! How to decrypt .ecryptfs files?

Quote Originally Posted by dgermer View Post
    Hey, this thread shows as solved, did you solve it? I have exactly the same situation here. Could you please describe what you did to solve this?
    +1! I have recovered a few files of personal importance and I need to decrypt them into human to see if my VDI file that was accidentally deleted was rescued.

I am rather hopeless in this regard since the .ecryptfs files recovered barely make up half the known capacity of the VDI file.

Anyone else got any suggestions how to approach this problem??