Thread: Alternative software-video converters

Beans

Alternative software-video converters

I am still dual booting Win XP and Ubuntu, but trying to grow I currently use Freemake (also a FreeStudio5 version) to convert avi's and mov's to YouTube, etc. It is freeware that is quite simple to use and does what I need.

Is there an Ubuntu alternative? And in general, is there a source to go to when looking for "similar" Win to Ubuntu software? That is, is there a place like Snapfiles.com but only for Ubuntu apps? Many thanks.

Re: Alternative software-video converters

DeVeDe
    Avidemux
    Handbrake
    Kdenlive
    Openshot
    Cinelerra
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrag View Post
    And in general, is there a source to go to when looking for "similar" Win to Ubuntu software? That is, is there a place like Snapfiles.com but only for Ubuntu apps?

You can try these links for Ubuntu software, some of them list alternative Linux applications to common Win software:

But you should use official Ubuntu software repository whenever you can, because it is safer, easier to install and the software there is more adapted to Ubuntu. I usually use these lists just to find an application and then install it from repositories using Synaptic package manager.

Beans

Hi mrag,

A lot of good software is already suggested. I'll add one that is nice, if you can manage terminal window commands. It is particularly good if you want to convert many files in the same way (batch converting). I'm thinking of ffmpeg. See the following thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095
    and browse the internet for ubuntu ffmpeg tutorial