Thread: is there any way to install both open office and libre office?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

is there any way to install both open office and libre office?

i recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 which of course comes with libre office.
    I'm used to excel 2010 (and lots of conditional formatting options) and i thought libre office was great for everything I'd ever have to do except for the conditional formatting.. so i thought I'd try open office to see if it had any more options, but after downloading it (not from the repository, after reading the reviews), i couldn't figure out how to install it. on googleing it, every thing i see says something like, "step one, uninstall libre office" which I'm not really eager to do, because i already have some files.. but, you gotta do what you gotta do..
    Last edited by gandalf3; March 22nd, 2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: typos

Beans

Re: is there any way to install both open office and libre office?

what issues were you having with conditional formatting? I have conditional formatting in several spreadsheets that I use to record my work hours

Beans
    Distro

it's more like I'm used to the conditional formatting in excel 2010, and conditional formatting here is more like 2003.. and there's only three rules. also, though it's not entirely necessary, i like to have text conditional formatted for easer viewing (which I think you can still do, but it's a lot harder..) so nothing too bad, but if there's anything better, i would probably replace libre office (but I don't know if theres anything better to replace it with...)

Beans
    Distro

It's unlikely that Open Office will satisfy your wants. I have heard that Excel 2010 works under the latest WINE.

Beans

LibreOffice is a maintained fork of OpenOffice, whereas OpenOffice itself has been sleeping in Apache's Incubator since June last year. There hasn't been an update to OpenOffice in over a year now, so it's unlikely to be of any more use to you than LibreOffice, which saw it's last update six days ago.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans
    Distro

thanks
    it seems like I'll just have to stick with libre office for now..
    unless there are any other open source/linux spreadsheet projects..
    Last edited by gandalf3; April 11th, 2012 at 08:22 PM. Reason: new thought..