Thread: Will not boot

Beans

Will not boot

I have the newest Ununtu. It will not boot except in the recovery mode. I have reinstalled several time. No help. what should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Will not boot

Posted by mr best buy:
    I have the newest Ununtu. It will not boot except in the recovery mode. I have reinstalled several time. No help. what should I do?
    If you want a sensible, useful reply, post a clear description of your installation and the exact symptoms you observe during a boot attempt. - Is "newest" 11.10 or 12.04 ?

What happens with the recovery boot, is it correct and complete?

Also can you boot from the Live CD or USB you installed from - directly or with wubi?

Chao!, bogan
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

OK. I have an HP Desk top. 8 GB MEM. I dual boot between windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04. I have had this situtation several months. Then suddenly when I try to boot in to Ubnntu the screen flickers at about 40 cps. very hard hard to read the messages as they flash by. It will not complete the booting process. so after 10 minutes, I turn it off and reboot, using the recovery manager. It boots but flashes at the same rate at times as the other attempt. It also has a large amount of [24] flashing on the screen.
    So I ran the up date, no help... So I reinstalled 11.04 erasing the old system. No help. So I installed 12.04, erasing the old system. No help.
    What should I do? I cannot delete any partitions becuase I do not know the partition names. If I reformat I wil lose windows 7 and I do not want to do that..So what are my options? How to delete partitions with out disturbing windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Probably you need nomodeset to boot. If you have an nvidia graphics card it's certainly needed, some ati as well. See this thread for more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132