Thread: help with the so-called "snap windows" feature in Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

Beans

help with the so-called "snap windows" feature in Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a virtual machine, and the window snap feature isn't working. I am logging in to Ubuntu Classic (not the "no effects" version), and I've read that the feature should be a default. I did try downloading compiz settings configuration manager to use the command/edge binding system, but had little luck with that.

Since I'm completely new to Linux, I would appreciate some direction. Any help the community could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: help with the so-called "snap windows" feature in Ubuntu Natty (11.04)

Quote Originally Posted by booksmart View Post
    I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 on a virtual machine, and the window snap feature isn't working. I am logging in to Ubuntu Classic (not the "no effects" version), and I've read that the feature should be a default. I did try downloading compiz settings configuration manager to use the command/edge binding system, but had little luck with that.

Since I'm completely new to Linux, I would appreciate some direction. Any help the community could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    What VM are you using?
    Virtualbox? VmWare?
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

vmware player: version 4.0.2 build-591240

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by booksmart View Post
    vmware player: version 4.0.2 build-591240
    Snap requires compositing.
    Did you enable the "3d effects" under the display section of the virtual machine's settings?
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

That's good to know. The 3D graphics option was being disabled at startup due to an out-of-date driver. I updated and enabled, but the snap feature still doesn't work.

Do you think I somehow disabled the default? Alternatively, is there something else I should check? Thanks for the help, sandyd!