Thread: GIMP 2.7.5 Compiling GTK+ Error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

GIMP 2.7.5 Compiling GTK+ Error

Hey everybody,

I've been in the process of compiling GIMP 2.7.5 on Ubuntu Precise 12.04 (Beta 1).

So far I've only gotten to compiling most of the dependencies:
    babl-0.1.6
    gegl-0.1.8
    cairo-1.6.0
    GTK+-2.24.7

During the 'make'ing process of GTK+ I get this error:
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libpangocairo-1.0.so: undefined reference to 'cairo_show_text_glyphs'
    /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/../../../i386-linux-gnu/libpangocairo-1.0.so: undefined reference to 'cairo_surface_has_show_text_glyphs'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    I've researched this for a while, and only found 1 thread that didn't offer a solution but apparently solved it. It seems to be a problem with the version of either Pango (v. 1.29.5) or Cairo(1.6.0)

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I should do? Thanks.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GIMP 2.7.5 Compiling GTK+ Error

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Hey everybody,

I've been in the process of compiling GIMP 2.7.5 on Ubuntu Precise 12.04 (Beta 1)....
    Why?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Why?
    School project files were created in this version of GIMP that I need to edit.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans

To be honest, I'd be having a word with whoever created those school project files that demand a version of gimp that hasnt even reached debian unstable yet and ask them to be a bit more pragmatic but as far as your linking errors go...

precise already has a higher version of cairo than 1.6, the error cairo_show_text_glyphs seems to reflect a change that occurred in 1.8 or so, precise uses 1.10. Use the system libraries for those parts, hopefully you've been using a local build chain against them and not overwritten the system libraries? (this is *always* a bad idea!) the gtk version you mention is also superceded in precise

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMachines View Post
    To be honest, I'd be having a word with whoever created those school project files that demand a version of gimp that hasnt even reached debian unstable yet and ask them to be a bit more pragmatic but as far as your linking errors go...

precise already has a higher version of cairo than 1.6, the error cairo_show_text_glyphs seems to reflect a change that occurred in 1.8 or so, precise uses 1.10. Use the system libraries for those parts, hopefully you've been using a local build chain against them and not overwritten the system libraries? (this is *always* a bad idea!) the gtk version you mention is also superceded in precise
    Okay, thanks for the information on that. I didn't use a local build but this is all being done in a virtual machine so I'll rollback all of these changes and try with the updated precise packages. I'll post back later today if I need more help.
    - Justin Reno

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all your guys' help.

I finished compiling it with precises GTK+/Pango/Cairo and only built babl/gegl from source.
    - Justin Reno