Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Closure of thread by "Occupy" member

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Closure of thread by "Occupy" member

    I'd like some clarification from the moderation about their closure of this thread.

    While I agree that it was something of a touchy subject, and certainly had the potential to break a forum rule, it had not IMO actually done so. The reasons give for closure were:

    1. Political activity
    2. Discussion of potentially illegal activity


    Re: Political activity

    The OP did not make any attempt to discuss or promote his group's political aims, but merely approached the forum for technical advice regarding communications security. I feel there was no breach of ToCs.

    Re: Illegal activity
    • Legitimate political protest is not illegal
    • Use of technology for secure communications is not illegal
    • The OP did not advocate or ask for information regarding anything illegal


    I'm not expecting the thread to be re-opened, I'm just a bit concerned that the reasons given for closure don't seem to reflect the actual content of the thread. If the mods involved can justify their decision that's fine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Closure of thread by "Occupy" member

    I did not close the thread, but it is overtly political.

    If the OP requires technical support, allow them to ask a technical question without the political introduction or posting in the café.

    As it is, the question, as asked, is both political and open ended. The OP seems to have done little or no "home work" on the issue (thus the question is open ended).

    As it is , the question comes across as "how do I circumvent Big Brother?" and / or "help me circumvent the law", (political) and less "How do I use TOR?" (technical).
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    6,542
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Closure of thread by "Occupy" member

    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    As it is , the question comes across as "how do I circumvent Big Brother?" and / or "help me circumvent the law", (political)
    Hmmm, I've seen plenty of other discussions regarding online privacy that didn't get stomped. I think we've been a little too touchy here.

    You may not agree with Occupy's politics (I don't feel any great affinity to them myself), but they've got just as much right to their privacy as the rest of us. They're not doing anything illegal. Considering how paranoid a lot of Linux users are I'd say they're a lot less privacy-obsessed than a lot of regular folks here. There's a lot of very paranoid talk about Google on here, for a start. Why is it considered unacceptable to discuss privacy when the agency you're trying to hide from is a government instead of a corporation?

    and less "How do I use TOR?" (technical).
    Well, that's the kind of thing they were after, they just didn't get much help along those lines.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Closure of thread by "Occupy" member

    Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Hmmm, I've seen plenty of other discussions regarding online privacy that didn't get stomped. I think we've been a little too touchy here.

    You may not agree with Occupy's politics (I don't feel any great affinity to them myself), but they've got just as much right to their privacy as the rest of us. They're not doing anything illegal. Considering how paranoid a lot of Linux users are I'd say they're a lot less privacy-obsessed than a lot of regular folks here. There's a lot of very paranoid talk about Google on here, for a start. Why is it considered unacceptable to discuss privacy when the agency you're trying to hide from is a government instead of a corporation?



    Well, that's the kind of thing they were after, they just didn't get much help along those lines.
    Like bodhi.zazen, said we have nothing against someone asking and getting help keeping their online activities as private as possible, if the op were to ask a question without the political preamble, and in the proper section of the forum, we wouldn't have a problem with helping him out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Closure of thread by "Occupy" member

    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Like bodhi.zazen, said we have nothing against someone asking and getting help keeping their online activities as private as possible, if the op were to ask a question without the political preamble, and in the proper section of the forum, we wouldn't have a problem with helping him out.
    I fully agree with this.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •