Thread: Unity 5 in Ubuntu 11.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Question Unity 5 in Ubuntu 11.10

Hello,

I wanted to try the new version of Unity that is under development for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I visited the page www.omgubuntu.co.uk that explains how to install it. So, it seems that you have to do the following:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unity-team/staging
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

restart computer

After doing that I didn't notice any change. Did I miss something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Unity 5 in Ubuntu 11.10

Since this comes with 12.04, you might do better asking this in the Precise Development forum. There may be some tweaking you have to do to get it working.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Hi,
    I'm facing the same problem. I did what was told and I have still Unity 4.28. I used synaptic and it seams that there is no Unity 5 for Ubuntu 11.10. Did they change repository or something?

Beans

yes. i had the same problem.

what i did is I installed synaptic after adding the new repository from terminal and searched for unity in synaptic. search results returned unity 4. then i looked into the repositories settings and changed it to distr = "precise". i updated synaptic and now unity 5 appears in the search results. so i closed synaptic and i am going to do dist upgrade

update:
    be careful. after a dist upgrade. i can't log in. it brings me back to log in page again. ubuntu is not my main system on my laptop. so i am ok with that. i will try to solve it later when i have time.
    Last edited by husnos; February 27th, 2012 at 06:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

The first time I tried it I did it in Ubuntu but now I'm going to try to do it in Linux Mint and I'll have a look at the repositores as you said. Maybe I didn't see the option to change to Precise the last time. Let's see if it let's me log in after the system upgrade.

--
    I tried it in Linux Mint but as it happened when I tried in Ubuntu I only could see Unity 4.28 I guess I'll have to wait until the final release of Precise Pangolin to see if version 5 is more stable than version 4. Unity is a good interface but it needs some bugs to be fixed and to improve its features.
    Last edited by Canaryguy; February 27th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Canaryguy View Post
    The first time I tried it I did it in Ubuntu but now I'm going to try to do it in Linux Mint and I'll have a look at the repositores as you said. Maybe I didn't see the option to change to Precise the last time. Let's see if it let's me log in after the system upgrade.
    Please be aware that the staging ppa now has Unity 5.4 and is for testing in precise. It might break your 11.10 install.

If it breaks remove it. Scroll down for details.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/h...-ubuntu-11-10/