Thread: Editing Unity quicklists (without knowledge)

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Editing Unity quicklists (without knowledge)

The subject is not new, but so far, most instructions are based on manually editing the .desktop files. For my own convenience, and because I like learning Python a bit, I wrote a set of scripts to make it easy, also for new users.

Setup is straightforward:

• Download the 'launcher_editor.zip' here
    • Unzip it somewhere in your Home directory
    • Open a terminal, cd to the directory in which te 'setup.py' file is, run it by the command 'python setup.py'

Basically that's all. After you log out and back in a new menu item will be placed at the bottom of your Home launcher's icon:

Usage is pretty much speaking for itself:

At this point the script covers three applications: nautilus-home, Firefox (weblinks) and VirtualBox. I am working on more (LibreOffice etc).
    You can move the folder after installation, but you will have to run the setup.py again to repair the linking to- and between the scripts.
    I tried the scripts on 11.10 and 12.04, (Dutch and US English), fresh installed as well as with pre- edited .desktop files, the script takes care of correct file setup and clean handling of the files, I did not run into problems, or they are corrected in this version.

To remove the scripts, first choose 'nautilus-home' from the script's menu (see above) and after that "restore". Once the original quicklist is restored, simply remove the launcher-editor folder from your system.

----------------
    edit 19-2-12
    ----------------
    just added support for LibreOffice quicklists, including a versionchecker (including LibreOffice 3.5). made some adaptions to the editor_module.py to meet the somewhat inconsistent and changing (per version) naming of the .desktop files of LibreOffice.

----------------
    edit 20-2-12
    ----------------
    just added support for Banshee (player controls) quicklists
    Last edited by Jacobonbuntu; March 27th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.