Thread: Multiple Graphic Card with multiple monitors

Beans

Multiple Graphic Card with multiple monitors

Hello there,

I am newbie, after install Ubuntu 11.10 i try to set up multiple monitors using Nvidia X Server Setting.

First:
    Video cards are 2 (two) - nvidia GeForce GTS 250.
    Monitors are Asus S211HL(Main monitor) and Dell 1704FPT (second monitor).
    (each monitor is plug to each card)

On Nvidia X Server Setting i try this:
    On the Xserver Display Configuration, i set the second monitor Configuration to "Separate X screen (requires X restart)" It is the only option. It doesn't allow me to change to "TwinView".

After changing the Configuration to "Separate X screen (requires X restart)", i click on "Save to X Configuration file". Which i believe saves the setting to the xorg.conf file. After that i restart the machine. When it boot up, the second monitor is white and when i move the mouse to the second monitor, the cursor change to a X and i can not drag anything to the second monitor.

My question is what is going on? Why is doing that? Is it because of each monitor is plug to each video card? Does it has to be in "TwinView" to make it work?

I need a little help here. If you need to look at the xorg.conf i believe i can post it.

Thanks,
    Valter479

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Multiple Graphic Card with multiple monitors

You don't need two graphics cards to use two monitors, just remove one graphics card and connect both monitors to the remaining video card. You should then be able to setup twin view.

If you have to use two graphics cards for whatever reason, make sure the drivers for each card are configured in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Beans

Hello Cariboo907,

Thanks for reply.
    I have two graphics cards because i also have windows install on the machine and i play games on windows.

I also checked the xorg.conf file and both cards are configured.

Do you have any other suggestion or opinion i would appreciate.

Thanks again,
    Valter479

Beans

Was this ever resolved? I am having the exact same issue. I am using two cards with four monitors ( I use them to monitor my network). I also get the white screen on anything other than the first display.

Beans

What a mission...

I have reached a point where i can get all the screens working.
    Yes all 4 of them using two graphics cards.
    But now I cannot for the life of me get it such that
    the screens on the second card can do anything other than display the background.
    So you can move the mouse nicely from the second to the third screen but
    you can not move a window across or right click on the background.

I have 2 nVidia cards. So anyone got any ideas how to solve this?

Beans

Was this ever resolved?

I have been running 3 monitor on two graphics cards for years, with no real problems. But since Unity came along and I think Gnome3 they all seem to in no way support having multiple monitors or later not multiple graphics cards.

I currently work around it by using LXDE which mostly works. Still sometimes you right click and the menu will pop up on the wrong monitor.

I want my multi-graphics cards and monitors support back!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This thread is a year old.

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.