Thread: upnp dlna PLAYER for ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

upnp dlna PLAYER for ubuntu

Is there a way to stream my upnp/dlna media and play it on ubuntu 11.10. I currently stream all my media from my ubuntu 11.10 workstation/media server. I can stream to my phones, xbox 360, blue ray player, ect... using minidlna but i'm unable to stream to my ubuntu 11.10 laptops!! I find this rather odd, is this really something that is overlooked?

I've read that the Coherence plugin is broken in ubuntu 11.10 and that support has been dropped for ubuntu. Is this really the case?

Please help, and "sharing files with samba" is not a clean or proper solution to this problem. Thanks in advance to any help given. I've searched the forums, but didn't find a clear answer.... other than to just wait. I don't feel just waiting months is an acceptable solution either. If i missed the solution then please post a link that i can follow. Thanks again for taking the time to read this post, and possibly help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: upnp dlna PLAYER for ubuntu

Don't know if Rygel will do what you want or not but it might be worth a look/try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: upnp dlna PLAYER for ubuntu

Rygel looks to be more of a media server than a media player. It might have the ability to play also, but would be way overkill for what i'm needing at the moment. I currently use "minidlna" as my server, but i'm going to keep my eye on "rygel." It looks promising and might be better than what i use now.

But my problem isn't the "serving" aspect, its the "playing" aspect from ubuntu 11.10. I can play from all my media from other upnp devices, but how do i play my upnp media from ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric."

Thanks.