Page 94 of 139 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

@MAFoElffen, did a fresh install. No graphic display for grub, funny designs on screen but eventually got to Plymouth login screen. Checked kern.log - no mtrr errors or vmap errors. Of course, this is without editing /etc/default/grub or installing the Current Nvidia driver.

Added vga-794 to grub and straightaway got mtrr errors. Removed vga=794 and added GLX_Mode=1280x1024x16 and once again got mtrr errors.

I totally forgot and installed the Nvidia Current and then the moment I login everything freezes - cannot even get a command line prompt with ctrl-alt-f2.

Re-installed OS and kern.log once again is clean. Will tell you tomorrow what happens when the Nvidia Xswat is installed.

UPDATE: installed nvidia xswat - no more vmalloc error reported in the kern.log. Added back Gfx mode of 1280x1024x16 in /etc/default/grub and mtrr mismatch errors re-appear. Plymouth splash appears only for a second and then goes to Plymouth login and after about 30-40 seconds displays desktop wall paper and after further 30 seconds, the unity panel.

I find the entire boot process is now much slower and probably comparable to WinXP boot time. Ironically, the main reason why moved away from Windows 4-5 years ago was the slowness of the Windows boot process!!

Tnxs
    Last edited by gdesilva; January 23rd, 2012 at 03:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gdesilva View Post
    @MAFoElffen, did a fresh install. No graphic display for grub, funny designs on screen but eventually got to Plymouth login screen. Checked kern.log - no mtrr errors or vmap errors. Of course, this is without editing /etc/default/grub or installing the Current Nvidia driver.

Added vga-794 to grub and straightaway got mtrr errors. Removed vga=794 and added GLX_Mode=1280x1024x16 and once again got mtrr errors.

I totally forgot and installed the Nvidia Current and then the moment I login everything freezes - cannot even get a command line prompt with ctrl-alt-f2.

Re-installed OS and kern.log once again is clean. Will tell you tomorrow what happens when the Nvidia Xswat is installed.

UPDATE: installed nvidia xswat - no more vmalloc error reported in the kern.log. Added back Gfx mode of 1280x1024x16 in /etc/default/grub and mtrr mismatch errors re-appear. Plymouth splash appears only for a second and then goes to Plymouth login and after about 30-40 seconds displays desktop wall paper and after further 30 seconds, the unity panel.

I find the entire boot process is now much slower and probably comparable to WinXP boot time. Ironically, the main reason why moved away from Windows 4-5 years ago was the slowness of the Windows boot process!!

Tnxs
    Try remvong "splash" from the grub boot cnd line in the grub defaults files. Then you shouldn't need the vga / nor the gfxmode setting. That was another work-around I remember with some hardware when Oneiric was beta.

Boot times... (aargh!) Actually, that is something we are trying to work on with Precise 12.04. We are at least tryung to ID the bottlenecks and submitting what we find. Us testers noticed this starting with 11.10.

Install bootchart. Reboot & look in /var/log/bootchart... open the *.png file (picture) and your boot process will be mapped out with all the elapsed times.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Try remvong "splash" from the grub boot cnd line in the grub defaults files. Then you shouldn't need the vga / nor the gfxmode setting. That was another work-around I remember with some hardware when Oneiric was beta.
    Removing "splash", vga=794 and GLXMODE gives me the non-graphical display of grub menu, some squiggly images and then straight to Plymouth login screen. But login is noticeably faster.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Boot times... (aargh!) Actually, that is something we are trying to work on with Precise 12.04. We are at least tryung to ID the bottlenecks and submitting what we find. Us testers noticed this starting with 11.10.

Install bootchart. Reboot & look in /var/log/bootchart... open the *.png file (picture) and your boot process will be mapped out with all the elapsed times.
    Would it be useful if I were to post my bootchart? Without knowing what the expected running times of each of those processes are, it did not make much sense to me. But if it is going to be useful for you, I am happy to post it here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gdesilva View Post
    Removing "splash", vga=794 and GLXMODE gives me the non-graphical display of grub menu, some squiggly images and then straight to Plymouth login screen. But login is noticeably faster.

Would it be useful if I were to post my bootchart? Without knowing what the expected running times of each of those processes are, it did not make much sense to me. But if it is going to be useful for you, I am happy to post it here.
    After installing it, reboot. It creates a .png file in "/var/log/bootchart/".

If you post it, upload to a picture posting site, then link to it. I think Ubuntu has a limit on the size of posted pictures and I think bootchart's are over that limit.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; January 24th, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

so I have been playing with a few distro's and new kernels. I started installing 11.10 at 7am this morning and just got a working X server after trying all your post. after exahusting everything I basically scanned the syslog with a magnifying glass and came up with this

Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP in the log along with a stack trace and the acpi trying to poll the nvidia card.

after googling the error there seems to be many with this issue. The one thing with that error that threw me was that it actually list my Asus P8H61-I as the culprit that I can decipher.

Anyhow it looks like a bug with the 3.0 3.1 3.2 etc kernels. I am testing 3.3rc2 for the suspend fixes for Sandy Bridge stuff, which now I can get back to testing.

What I found to fix this was to create a

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers-options.conf

and put this in it that new file

options nvidia_current NVreg_RegisterForACPIEvents=0

The I saved and rebooted and have a working x-server. Now I am going to try to the binary for the fun of it.

Thanks for your posts there is a lot of helpful info in them.

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rodercot View Post
    so I have been playing with a few distro's and new kernels. I started installing 11.10 at 7am this morning and just got a working X server after trying all your post. after exahusting everything I basically scanned the syslog with a magnifying glass and came up with this

Oops: 0002 [#1] SMP in the log along with a stack trace and the acpi trying to poll the nvidia card.

after googling the error there seems to be many with this issue. The one thing with that error that threw me was that it actually list my Asus P8H61-I as the culprit that I can decipher.

Anyhow it looks like a bug with the 3.0 3.1 3.2 etc kernels. I am testing 3.3rc2 for the suspend fixes for Sandy Bridge stuff, which now I can get back to testing.

What I found to fix this was to create a

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers-options.conf

and put this in it that new file

options nvidia_current NVreg_RegisterForACPIEvents=0

The I saved and rebooted and have a working x-server. Now I am going to try to the binary for the fun of it.

Thanks for your posts there is a lot of helpful info in them.

Dave
    Thanks for the info... Me too. Seeing and filing bugs on regression problems with the 3.x series kernel, but they are stalled. kernel.org had their site hacked and their bug tracking system has been down ever since.

Noticing a lot of graphics issues are simular between different distros in the 3.x series kernels, but also with the newer xorg-server... Still trying to stay on top of graphics issues...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

That line added to the conf file seems to work with the packaged drivers and x-swats 290.10 driver but it does not seem to work with the binary's 295.17 driver. If I install it and reboot again it loads the driver with no problems, no errors in my Xorg.0.log but still get a black sceen. Frustrating to say the least as I cannot get any tty's with the current driver and this setup.

Ok I figured out the binary issue with the above line placed in the config file. for packaged drivers use the nvidia_current and for the binary you need to use just nvidia so

packaged = options nvidia_current NVreg_RegisterForACPIEvents=0
    binary = options nvidia NVreg_RegisterForACPIEvents=0

Make sense DOH! I was asleep at the wheel I guess.

I also have a 10.04 loaded HD in this same machine that is fully configured with the 3.3rc2 kernel and it functions 100%. none of these bugs appear I can add and remove drivers no problems suspend works. I still lean to unity/lightdm is a regression over gdm/gnome. I am using mythbuntu by the way. I am tempted to remove lightdm all together and reinstall mythfrontend with gnome.

EDIT - Got my tty's back as well. The system would freeze at the pink screen after trying a receovery boot and any tty switch would result in a blank screen so to fix after reading a few bug pages was to edit grub and uncomment the

---> GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768 (I changed it to the resolution noted here which works for me) THEN just below that I added the following line
    ---> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768x24

The Sudo update-grub and rebooted voila recovery mode does not freeze up and I have all 6 tty's from the desktop now with either packaged or binary drivers. This also gave me back a bit of a splash screen that I can see on boot up still goes black screen between kernel and starting x though. I am sure I could add a spalsh screen with grub-customizer likely the easiest way to do that.

I thought I should also add this little blurb from where I got the fix... It gives a little more detail if you would like to read the whole bug then

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/391215

"Alternatively (this works for me with Lucid, Nvidia with grub2) you can edit your grub (sudo gedit /etc/default/grub) file and add the following:
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x800
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x800x32
    then run:
    sudo update-grub
    The "keep" borks the terminals for gfxpayload but the GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX works well if you specify the resolution. Note this will not work with non-GRUB2 bootloaders (i.e., GRUB) so you may have to update to GRUB2 if you are running the older grub."

Dave
    Last edited by rodercot; February 5th, 2012 at 04:08 PM.

Beans

First off, MAFoElffen, thank you so much for your support and help here. I've read through all 94 pages of this thread... maybe twice... I feel like I'm calling into a radio show and need to roll off one of those "long time listener, first time caller" lines.

Secondly, I'm new to ubuntu and linux in general, though i'm not completely helpless... i've just messed with windows boxes most of my life - started with DOS systems... blah blah blah.

long story short, i built this box and used it in about 2 years in grad school and it's been sitting in my closet the past 2 years since i got married - pulled it out recently - decided to give linux a shot - heard ubuntu was "user friendly".

here's the specs on the hardware:
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz
    Video: PNY NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    HD: WD Caviar 300GB 7200RPM SATA
    RAM: 4x1GB DDR2-800

The hard drive isnt new, but i did give it a fresh format and tried installing 11.10 (64 bit) from a LiveCD. Had to use the 'nomodeset' option - won't load otherwise. No apparent problems running the installer. reboots and gets a black screen. appending the kernel boot line with "nomodeset" still gets to me a black screen. if i put "single" in the kernel boot line, i actually get a command line prompt and can do a little bit... like updating apt-get, installing nvidia-current, etc... but it still black screens on reboot.

i tried looking up and appending the kernel boot line w/"vga=xxx" after looking up some modes my video supports... though i had to drop to the grub CLI and use "vbeinfo" to do it. in a text session, "hwinfo --framebuffer" doesnt return anything. yes, i installed hwinfo and i get an extensively long report if i just run the command "hwinfo"

i tried following the directions in post #280 to cleanup, but when i go to edit the blacklist.conf it won't let me due to permissions (it's read-only)... and i dont know enough to go changing those comfortably - don't wanna royally hose things yet.

somewhere along the way, i was able to boot into recovery mode, but i think i installed the wrong drivers (nvidia-173, which i understand doesnt work with the 6600) and couldnt ever get back into a GUI. after flailing for the better part of a day trying to do so, i tried a fresh reinstall with intentions of retracing my steps... and have been unsuccessful. i know i'm close... and i'm at least comforted by the fact that i can run a LiveCD (what i'm using right now to type this), but i'd really like the installed version to work.

so here's where i am now: i can get to a usable text console, but only if i append "single" to the kernel boot line. if i try appending "text", i think it gets there... the text is garbled and unreadable, but i can enter commands and it responds. i can't boot all the way into recovery mode - the graphical menus come up, and i can drop to a command line there, but it doesnt go all the way when i tell it to continue loading.

i'm really not quite sure where to go from here. i know there's other stuff i've tried along the way, but i can't remember it all - been working on this about 2 days/week over the past month or so. thought i'd finally ask for some hands-on help... and any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance,
    i'm going to go spend some time outside for a few hours - maybe replenish some of my lost vitamin D.
    ~Ben
    Edit: so, i took a step further back and installed 10.04. it runs fine, so i'm just going to use it. and 11.10 installed on my laptop just fine, so i'll play with it a bit there. sorry to waste a post really though, thanks for keeping this post going... it's been awfully helpful.
    Last edited by baslug; February 7th, 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Beans

I'm also unable to boot.. my laptop hangs at 'checking battery state', regardless whether I'm plugged into the power or on battery.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11668679

Beans

Hello,

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 using a thumb drive and chose to option to install it as the only OS, removing the previous Windows installation. Everything during the installation seemed to work without a hitch but when it reboots after it's finished, the Vaio logo shows up then goes to a blinking underscore and remains there.

If I try to install again, it asks me if I want to delete the previous installation and install again or install another version side by side, so it definitely installed.

Here is what I'm working with:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1967 MB, 1967128576 bytes
    57 heads, 56 sectors/track, 1203 cylinders, total 3842048 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x000be5bc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 * 137 3842047 1920955+ 6 FAT16

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x0006c845

/dev/sda1 2048 480278527 240138240 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 480280574 488396799 4058113 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 480280576 488396799 4058112 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 4016 MB, 4016046080 bytes
    128 heads, 25 sectors/track, 2451 cylinders, total 7843840 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

/dev/sdc1 * 56 7843839 3921892 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

One of the screenshots early in the thread shows an option to press F6 so you can try "nomodeset" but I don't see any of the function commands at the bottom of my screen for this version so I'm not sure how to try this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Page 94 of 139 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast