Thread: Enable SSH as root on LAN only + other questions

Beans

Enable SSH as root on LAN only + other questions

Hi! This is not Ubuntu, but ClearOS. I run ClearOS as a gateway server and I have a few questions about security that I hope that I can get help with.

1. I have changed the default SSH port for security reasons (I know that a port scan will show the SSH port, but it's always something.) Now I want to enable SSH as root ONLY on my local LAN and not from the internet. How would I do that?

2. I have another user for myself, ericus, that I run screen + irssi from, and also connect via SSH (SFTP) to add and copy files. But, that user is allowed to become superuser via su -i. How do I disable that?

3. On my normal user, ericus, how do I root that user to /home/ericus? I don't want that user to browse outside of it's home-folder. How do I chroot that user (and disable su as in question number 2)?

This is the things I'd like to fix before enabling SSH on the external network.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please do explain as easily as possible since I am a pretty novive user.

Best regards, and thanks in advance,
    Eric

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Enable SSH as root on LAN only + other questions

1. you should never allow root log-in; so that solves #1

2. use PAM to disable root access

3. enable it through sshd.conf

FROM THE MAN PAGES of SSHD.CONF
    ChrootDirectory
    Specifies the pathname of a directory to chroot(2) to after
    authentication. All components of the pathname must be root-
    owned directories that are not writable by any other user or
    group. After the chroot, sshd(8) changes the working directory
    to the user's home directory.

The pathname may contain the following tokens that are expanded
    at runtime once the connecting user has been authenticated: %% is
    replaced by a literal '%', %h is replaced by the home directory
    of the user being authenticated, and %u is replaced by the user-
    name of that user.

The ChrootDirectory must contain the necessary files and directo-
    ries to support the user's session. For an interactive session
    this requires at least a shell, typically sh(1), and basic /dev
    nodes such as null(4), zero(4), stdin(4), stdout(4), stderr(4),
    arandom(4) and tty(4) devices. For file transfer sessions using
    ``sftp'', no additional configuration of the environment is nec-
    essary if the in-process sftp server is used, though sessions
    which use logging do require /dev/log inside the chroot directory
    (see sftp-server(8) for details).

The default is not to chroot(2).

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post
    Hi! This is not Ubuntu, but ClearOS. I run ClearOS as a gateway server and I have a few questions about security that I hope that I can get help with.

1. I have changed the default SSH port for security reasons (I know that a port scan will show the SSH port, but it's always something.) Now I want to enable SSH as root ONLY on my local LAN and not from the internet. How would I do that?

2. I have another user for myself, ericus, that I run screen + irssi from, and also connect via SSH (SFTP) to add and copy files. But, that user is allowed to become superuser via su -i. How do I disable that?

3. On my normal user, ericus, how do I root that user to /home/ericus? I don't want that user to browse outside of it's home-folder. How do I chroot that user (and disable su as in question number 2)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please do explain as easily as possible since I am a pretty novive user.

Eric

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Enable SSH as root on LAN only + other questions

Quote Originally Posted by ericus View Post

Changing the port adds little if any security to ssh. especially on a gateway.

Disable access to su , change the root password. You are not using Ubuntu and you really should be asking questions about ClearOS on the ClearOS forums or read the ClearOS documentation.

Eric
    Read man ssh_config, look at the users option. Use iptables to restrict ssh to your lan. Lots of solutions.

For the type of server you are configuring, you need to start by reading the documentation. If you have a specific question about a specific configuration option, feel free to ask.

As you are not using Ubuntu I am closing this thread now.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface