Thread: Macbook crash

Beans

Unhappy Macbook crash

My Macbook was working fine with Ubuntu - and then suddenly stopped working. When I turn the computer on now all that happens is the Ubuntu logo appears followed by a screen with shut down options and a box in the center teling me who the computer belongs to. Does anyone know what I can do to get the computer working again - and if at all possible - save what I had on the harddrive?

Beans

Re: Macbook crash

Did you try logging in?
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can you describe what you see exactly? is it a login screen?

In any case no worries, you should -in 99% of cases- be able to boot up from a livedisk and save things to an external disk/ USB key.

Beans

Did you try dropping down to the TTY, logging in and then startx?
    "Like computer viruses, successful mind viruses will tend to be hard for their victims to detect. If you are the victim of one, the chances are that you won't know it, and may even vigorously deny it." -- Richard Dawkins

Beans

I don't know what TTY is - but the screen that appears has no options other than shutdown restart or suspend. It just tells me who the Macbook belongs to in the middle of the screen - otherwise that's it.
    in terms of sounds - it definitely whirls - the fan or something - but I don't specifically remember the scratchey sound. The sound, not - though, is exactly the same as it was when the computer was working fine.

Beans

A TTY is a terminal. To get to one, press Cmd + Alt + any F button from 1 to 7.

When you get to it, login, then type:
    Code:
    sudo pkill X
    The X must be uppercase.

Beans

So I tried this - and when I enter in Sudo pKill X the response is "no Sudo image kernel found" and then it simply goes to the Linux installation disk. I'm trying to install the Linux onto the computer hoping once I have Linux installed I may be able to access the old Ubuntu (11.4) and all my old data - but I can't even install the new Linux (11.10) because of partitioning problems (it tells me I don't have a root file). What can I try next?

I checked my bootCD and found that it has to 2 errors, so re-burned, re-checked and found it perfect, and then installed it on the Mac and Ubuntu was installed...or thought it was: when the cd ejected and the computer re-started the white screen appeared and after a few moments a folder with a question mark appeared. Now, I know that Ubuntu has installed - actually twice now - but for some reason when I boot without the CD the computer has no way to access it. Any ideas of what I can do?
    Last edited by charliedudeck; January 31st, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: want to add on details