Thread: Application already installed by another user - Wine error

Beans

Application already installed by another user - Wine error

Hi

Newbie Linux user here.

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook on an eMachines 250 (got rid of Windows XP).

I was trying to load the Windows application Evernote, but unfortunately I used an older version of Wine (1.2) and the installation went wrong. I could not uninstall Evernote properly, but eventually managed to clear out all the files. I uninstalled Wine 1.2, used Computer Janitor to tidy up and then installed Wine 1.3. Tried installing Evernote and got this message:

Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported.
    An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.

I am the only user, set up as the administrator, but where I think the problem lies, is when I changed my user profile from Custom to Administator, so perhaps the other mystery user was set up as Custom - unfortunately I can't change it back.

When I reinstall Wine (again) it still shows Evernote in the Configure Wine applications window, although it is uninstalled.

I take it there must be a log file on the system that needs to be amended?

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Application already installed by another user - Wine error

Thread moved to the Wine subforum.

Best,
    ubudog

Beans

Re: Application already installed by another user - Wine error

When you re-installed Wine, did you delete your .wine folder in your home directory?

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Application already installed by another user - Wine error

thatguruguy - it was as simple as that! Duh!

I didn't see the .wine folder in my home drive at first. Viewed hidden files and there it was.

Deleted wine, deleted wine folder, reinstalled wine, ran Evernote installation - and bingo! Evernote runs perfectly.

Many thanks!