Hallo, everyone!

What I'm trying to figure out is how to install PHP 5.2 on Ubuntu 11.10. I'm a bit new (not completely, but new ) to Linux, so sorry for asking.

The reason for doing this is that I've installed LAMP to run a Joomla! 1.5.25 test site on it, but the LAMP came with PHP version 5.3.16 and joomla doesn't work quite well with it (in particular, I can't make joomla's ftp work with my vsftpd, though the vsftpd works fine and I can log in from the terminal).

After digging the web for some days I tried this and that and finally came to the conclusion that the issue is in my version of joomla that doesn't want to make friends with the latest PHP. But as my site runs 1.5.25, there is no opportunity to switch the branch for me for a while.

While googling I found this tutorial on installing PHP 5.2 in Ubuntu 10.04, but I'm not sure whether this can be applied to 11.10 and if it can, what should be changed in the script:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...54&postcount=6

The other choice mentioned was to compile PHP 5.2 myself, but I'd like to avoid this if there is a slightest chance to...

Thank you for your help!