Thread: How to switch Virtual Box Display from 16 to 32bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How to switch Virtual Box Display from 16 to 32bit

Hey guys,
    I am trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 2 on a Virtual Box but I when I boot it tells me:
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } The Virtual Machine reports that the guest OS supports mouse pointer integration. This means that you do not need to capture the mouse pointer to be able to use it in your guest OS -- all mouse actions you perform when the mouse pointer is over the Virtual Machine's display are directly sent to the guest OS. If the mouse is currently captured, it will be automatically uncaptured.
    The mouse icon on the status bar will look like to inform you that mouse pointer integration is supported by the guest OS and is currently turned on.
    Note: Some applications may behave incorrectly in mouse pointer integration mode. You can always disable it for the current session (and enable it again) by selecting the corresponding action from the menu bar.
    How can I fix that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to switch Virtual Box Display from 16 to 32bit

Title is misleading !

But as for the message in your quote, nothing on your end to do except selecting 'do not shot me this message again' !

It basically only tells you that the mouse focus will be captured by the virtual machine whenever you hover it.

** My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by e79 View Post
    Title is misleading !

But as for the message in your quote, nothing on your end to do except selecting 'do not shot me this message again' !

It basically only tells you that the mouse focus will be captured by the virtual machine whenever you hover it.
    Oh I'm sorry!
    The message is:
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the virtual display is currently set to 16 bit.
    Please open the display properties dialog of the guest OS and select a 32 bit color mode, if it is available, for best possible performance of the virtual video subsystem.
    Note. Some operating systems, like OS/2, may actually work in 32 bit mode but report it as 24 bit (16 million colors). You may try to select a different color mode to see if this message disappears or you can simply disable the message now if you are sure the required color mode (32 bit) is not available in the guest OS.
    Is there a way to fix that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you installed the 'Guest Addition' on your guest machine ? I had the same message once and it went away after installing it .

** My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by e79 View Post
    Have you installed the 'Guest Addition' on your guest machine ? I had the same message once and it went away after installing it .
    What is a Guest Addition?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stamatiou View Post
    What is a Guest Addition?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IT Support View Post
    I click on the option but nothing happens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you downloaded and installed the Guest Addition package on your host first ? Once its installed you can redo the previous operation.

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...7.vbox-extpack

** My Blog

Beans

From this post ->https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24273 it looks like you can make the warnings go away by settings some extra data params on the command line.

Code:
    VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SuppressMessages remindAboutAutoCapture,\
    confirmInputCapture,remindAboutMouseIntegrationOn,remindAboutWrongColorDepth,\
    confirmGoingFullscreen,remindAboutMouseIntegrationOff