Thread: KMail stopped retrieving emails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

KMail stopped retrieving emails

I was trying out KMail in Kubuntu, and after I set my Yahoo account, it retrieved some 800 messages, and now it says "problem retrieving messages". I haven't changed anything, what could have possibly be wrong?

I tried killing all akonadi processes, then KMail restarted a few of them, and now it just doesn't display the error any more - the progress bar at the bottom right corner goes from 0 to 100%, but the latest mail displayed in KMail is from November. What could be wrong?

Beans

Re: KMail stopped retrieving emails

Jesus, who rightfully has 800 email messages in their mailbox?

For one, why don't you try deleting some of them?

Kmail is kind of flaky. Depends if the ISP puts a lot of anti-spam software on his mail server. I know I always seem to be fighting mine installing all of the certificates that pop up for me.

One thing you might want to check though in the "Settings" "Configure" sub-menu is the amount of email messages KMail will try to download at one setting. You might want to try setting that higher to see if that will work. Then set KMail to purge old emails after a certain date has passed.

I would get rid (as in try to delete) a lot of those email messages though. You're probably running up everyone else's storage charges on the ISP archiving all that old crap.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
    Jesus, who rightfully has 800 email messages in their mailbox?
    Haha... someone who has important information in them and doesn't want to lose it while skipping application to application!?! I thought I had little!

But, yeah, I couldn't find such a setting. This is all I get:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

PS: If I check the option for the POP3 account "number of messages to keep" <100> , it doesn't actually limit anything - there are still 800 messages in my box. I think there is somehtiing very wrong here...

Beans

Sorry, I might have been thinking of KNode (the Usenet reader) here with the amount of messages you can actually bring up when you log in to it.

But you DO know you can save important email messages to disk (in your Documents folder) or as text files, right?

Or, (the only other option I can think of is) open yourself a few free email accounts online (Yahoo mail or Gmail for one) and forward some of those "important" email messages over to them for safekeeping.

Caution though - some of the "free" email accounts WILL start deleting your saved older email messages after a certain date is reached or when they get to be too numerous.

Beans

Idiot me, I didn't answer your original question.

Can you log into the Yahoo mail server itself (using your browser) and bring those 800 email messages up?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead View Post
    Idiot me, I didn't answer your original question.

Can you log into the Yahoo mail server itself (using your browser) and bring those 800 email messages up?
    Yes.

The same happened with Thunderbird and KMail.
    Once I deleted all spam messages, everything worked properly.