Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    I've been using the 2.6.38-13-generic kernel, but then I realized I was only getting 2.6GB of RAM (due to integrated graphics) of my available 8GB, so I installed 2.6.38-13-generic-pae kernel. It worked for the first time no problem, and then when I later had to restart my computer, it shows up as a blank screen until I re-install the kernel from 2.6.38-13-generic. Recovery mode does not work either.

    How can I fix this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    1,359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    What type of architecture is using your computer? Is it a 32bit?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    What type of architecture is using your computer? Is it a 32bit?
    I'm on the 32-bit OS, but it's a 64-bit CPU. I only went with the 32-bit installation because it said 32-bit was recommended on www.ubuntu.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    1,359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    PAE kernel supports well the 4GB RAM but after that the remainder is slower. I don't know if your problem is connected to this.
    The recommendation for 32bit is old. The issue connected to this is solved and the use of 64bit is highly recommended.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    PAE kernel supports well the 4GB RAM but after that the remainder is slower. I don't know if your problem is connected to this.
    The recommendation for 32bit is old. The issue connected to this is solved and the use of 64bit is highly recommended.
    Is there any way to upgrade to 64-bit without losing my installed applications, themes, etc?

    If needed, I will update to 11.10 (I was planning to do so anyway at some point).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    1,359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    There is a way, but is really complicated, so I suggest you to do a fresh 11.10 64bit install.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    There is a way, but is really complicated, so I suggest you to do a fresh 11.10 64bit install.
    So the really only way would be to backup my package list and copies of other config files?

    And how complicated is it? Is there a tutorial I could look at?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    1,359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    Well...there is no much you could do. 11.10 is enough different than 11.04 and much more different than the previous versions.
    You could make a list with your applications installed, to download them again in 11.10 from the Ubuntu Software Center.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    At home
    Beans
    1,359
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    About 11.10 installation
    A very good guide is here, to solve problems with drivers etc.
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Oneiric
    And a do list after installation is here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/thing...ng-ubuntu.html

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Beans
    174
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Upgraded to PAE Kernel, worked once, then blank screen on boot

    Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    About 11.10 installation
    A very good guide is here, to solve problems with drivers etc.
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Oneiric
    And a do list after installation is here:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/thing...ng-ubuntu.html
    Alright, thanks for your help.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •