Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound troubleshooting

Beans

Re: Sound troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by lkjoel View Post
    You followed procedure Ae right?
    i don't remember exactly what i used, but my other thread is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1895861 <--there with the solution i used. thanks for your help everyone!

Beans

Cool Re: Sound troubleshooting

Hey everyone, I'm still a newbie to linux and recently am getting acclimated to the new Ubuntu 11.10 (ocelot) downloaded on my old IBM desktop. I finally configured my wireless to work and I've downloaded all the updates. I do have some questions regarding sound though. The internal speaker within the tower is recognized and outputs sound whenever I listen to music but when I plug in my Bose companion 2 Speakers into the jack, the internal speaker wont disable. I just want sound to be coming from my external speakers and not through my internal speaker. Is there any way to do this? I do music editing and this is pretty important to me so I can get a clear crisp sound from my bose speakers. I did the alsa project thing and here's the URL:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=22...cf37d964704123

Any help would be great!
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykos View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm still a newbie to linux and recently am getting acclimated to the new Ubuntu 11.10 (ocelot) downloaded on my old IBM desktop. I finally configured my wireless to work and I've downloaded all the updates. I do have some questions regarding sound though. The internal speaker within the tower is recognized and outputs sound whenever I listen to music but when I plug in my Bose companion 2 Speakers into the jack, the internal speaker wont disable. I just want sound to be coming from my external speakers and not through my internal speaker. Is there any way to do this? I do music editing and this is pretty important to me so I can get a clear crisp sound from my bose speakers. I did the alsa project thing and here's the URL:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=22...cf37d964704123

Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Run a Terminal (Dash->Terminal) window, and maximize it. Then run this command:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Then could you give us a screenshot?

Beans

Heres the shot. Thanks!

Beans

and another
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

@jaykos: I think your headphone jack sense is off by default. Turn it on by selecting the "headphone" item in alsamixer (third one in the left screenshot) and pressing the spacebar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Jaykos View Post
    and another
    Could you first maximize the terminal window, then run alsamixer, pressing F3?
    And could you take another shot apart from that, pressing F6 on alsamixer?

Beans

Hi guys,

do you think you could help me out with this problem. I worked through your manuals, but didn't manage to play sound from my FHEM server (perl script).

It all works fine for root and regular users, I just can't get the daemon process to play sound.

I have attached the output of the alsa-info.sh script called from within the shell script which was called by the daemon process.

I use the analog Intel sound device (not the Nvidia HDMI one). I have a small PA hooked up to the front left/right jack.

The necessary drivers are compiled into the kernel (-> no modules).

PulseAudio is not installed, so no pulse* groups in /etc/group. 'fhem' user is member of 'audio' group.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Lars
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I have a thread going in a different area for my current issue http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1901598.

Figured I would post here as well. I can't get sound working with my Asus P5N-E SLI MB. It uses the Nvidia MCP51 and ALC883 codec. Here is the link to my Alsa Info as well http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f4...44b75f4dc2422c.

Using the Try Ubuntu option on my Flash Drive works fine. When I first have Ubuntu 11.10 installed and before performing the 280+ updates, the sound works. After the updates it's a no go, sound is completely broken. My hardware is perfectly detected but no sound at all. You can review the thread that I started and see if there is anything I have not done yet. Thanks.

Beans

Hi, I'm running 11.10 on a Panasonic CF-30, and recently upgraded from 11.04. However, I'm still quite new to Ubuntu, having migrated from OS X.

My problem isn't so much with the sound drivers (tried that): sound in general is fine. However, where in 11.04 I could choose between 'analog output' and 'analog headphones' in the output tab of the sound control panel. After upgrading, the only option left is 'analog headphones' which controls both speaker and headphones. Muting either headphones or front speaker in Alsamixer will result in killing sound altogether. It would of course be ideal if the OS would sense whether I've plugged in my headphones and mute the speaker then, but I could live with the 11.04 solution of having to choose the sound output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I've run out of steam on my own.

Link to Alsa project log file: https://www.fontfont.com/news/join-o...funloving-team (originally forgot, thanks for reminding)

Screenshot from Alsamixer:

p.s. I should mention that I also uninstalled PulseAudio after upgrading since it continued to crash. The server's still running by the looks of it.
    Last edited by iljajj; January 6th, 2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added Alsa log file

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast