Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LightDM not asking for password, logs in with just one click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

LightDM not asking for password, logs in with just one click

I turned off auto-login, but now lightdm just shows a large 'login' button that when clicked logs me into my account with asking for a password... I changed my password and it didn't matter. Not finding anything about this on the forums. Anyone ever experienced something similiar?

I've looked at the conf files in /etc/lightdm/ and they are all set for not auto-logging in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: LightDM not asking for password, logs in with just one click

Thats part of the users and groups program included in gnome system tools package for gnome3.
    user-admin and is one of the login options.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Thats part of the users and groups program included in gnome system tools package for gnome3.
    user-admin and is one of the login options.
    I have no idea what you're talking about as I think you have no idea what I was talking about. lol. When auto-login is turned off, Ubuntu normally switches back to asking for a password. It wasn't recognizing it on my system, and didn't even ask for a password. Where it should have shown a password entry box was just a large login-button.

Anyways I wound up reinstalling the OS so unfortunately I never did find the exactly failure. The lightdm configuration files look the same as before. It's possible I installed a custom DEB at some point that changed something. So dead thread.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xyzzyman View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about as I think you have no idea what I was talking about. lol. When auto-login is turned off, Ubuntu normally switches back to asking for a password. It wasn't recognizing it on my system, and didn't even ask for a password. Where it should have shown a password entry box was just a large login-button.

Anyways I wound up reinstalling the OS so unfortunately I never did find the exactly failure. The lightdm configuration files look the same as before. It's possible I installed a custom DEB at some point that changed something. So dead thread.
    FYI - Under Ubuntu running gnome3 you have the option with autologin turned off to have the Login Box with a large Login- Button that does not require a password. All you have to do is hit the enter key to login.
    Thats what I was talking about and I believe what you were describing.
    Have a nice day.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro

So that may have been the problem. I had gnome-shell on here before but I'd removed it. I just had unity. Maybe something left over was over-riding me turning off auto-login in Unity's control panel (Which I thought was the same as gnome3's, go figure.) Now I wish I'd clonezilla's the install first so I could go back and troubleshoot it now so I could submit the bug.

Beans

I have this same problem. I am using linux mint 12 with gnome 3 and I turned outo login on for my brothers friends and now that I turned it back off there is still a big login button instead of a password box. please help as I really dont want to reinstall.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danman33 View Post
    I have this same problem. I am using linux mint 12 with gnome 3 and I turned outo login on for my brothers friends and now that I turned it back off there is still a big login button instead of a password box. please help as I really dont want to reinstall.
    Under gnome3 open users and groups from the applications menu (not from the system settings menu) and change it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Or simply make sure that your user is not in the nopasswdlogin group:
    Code:
    sudo gpasswd -d username nopasswdlogin
    where username is your login name.

Beans

Thank you so much, that did the trick!

Beans