Thread: Windows 7 and Ubuntu not recognizing each other's partitions

Threaded View

Beans

Windows 7 and Ubuntu not recognizing each other's partitions

I've been trying for a few days now to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10 (both 64-bit) on my Asus U52F laptop. Whichever order I install them in, the second OS installer either won't see or will actively ignore the installation made by the first OS.

When I install Ubuntu or some other Linux distro first, Windows will complain that it can't install on my hard disk because the partitions are GPT-style or some such. It won't even let me make a new partition in the unallocated space; the only option is to delete and repartition the entire disk.

When I install Windows 7 first, Ubuntu won't recognize that the partition I installed Windows on even exists. Again, the only option is to repartition the entire disk. Fedora and GParted live boots are much the same way.

I've looked at numerous tutorials for dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and none of them describe any such behavior. I searched this forum and others for and similar problems but couldn't find any. Is it a problem specific to my computer and is there a fix?
    Last edited by aepokh; December 27th, 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: GPT style, not GPL style. At the time of posting I couldn't remember the last letter.