Thread: Swapping an External USB HDD

Beans

Question Swapping an External USB HDD

Alrighty, I've searched the forums,(and unless I'm blind) I haven't found an answer to the question I'm about to ask. Get ready to scratch your heads and get carpal tunnel.

I'm about to install Ubuntu 10.04 with the alternate PPC + PS3 on my friends PS3 using my 1 terabyte Seagate FreeAgent External USB HDD as the drive I'm installing to.(If I can figure out how... my eyes are bleeding from reading through so many forums on THAT subject). I was wondering if I can take the same HDD that I installed Ubuntu for the PS3 too and use it on my desktop PC and boot up Ubuntu from there with-out having to install a different version of Ubuntu. And if it requires additional programs, what would they be?

I'm not A+ certified, but I am self taught and dabble in residential tech support for day to day things like virus removal, data recovery and software and hardware installations. I'm not a noob behind a keyboard, but this is my first foray into the Linux OS's. Any type of help would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

PPC vs x86

Quote Originally Posted by 1nsomn1ak View Post
    I was wondering if I can take the same HDD that I installed Ubuntu for the PS3 too and use it on my desktop PC and boot up Ubuntu from there with-out having to install a different version of Ubuntu.

No. It's a different architecture entirely unless your desktop is also PPC. You have to install a different version of Ubuntu if your desktop is x86.

Beans

Re: Swapping an External USB HDD

Ah, oh well, if that's the case thanks for the quick response. Thankfully I have a 1 terabyte HDD, So formating an extra partition for the desktop Ubuntu wont be much of a bother lol

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

PPC vs x86

If you want a bit of background on the two architectures, there is a 5-part article at OS News on x86 Vs PPC . Whether MIPS or PPC, I'm rather anxious to leave the 1970's (x86) behind. Both are used in embedded systems but largely missing from desktops.

Beans

Re: Swapping an External USB HDD

Well my issue right now with the 64 bit and the x86 is that I'm stuck using a friends old desktop for the time being and its a dinosaur... an old Dell with an Optiplex gx150 series . The BIOS doesn't even support booting from a USB device, I have to do a work-around by using a boot CD to boot from my USB HDD lol. So I don't even get to play around with the 64 bit OS's that I'm used to.