Thread: Question about Adblock Plus

Beans

Question Question about Adblock Plus

I'm a new user of Ubuntu 11.10. I've had it on my computer for a little less then a week. All I can say is I'm glad that my hd failed and I didn't have window discs.

Now my question is does Adblock Plus effect video play back on sites such as You Tube or Hulu? I tend to watch videos on You Tube that are paintball and now Ubuntu related. My wife on the other hand likes to watch TV shows on Hulu and Mega Video. I ran across Adblock Plus today and thought it would be nice to have, but didn't want to get a phone call at night while I was at work saying that the wife's shows won't play properly.

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Question about Adblock Plus

Beans

Well that helps. I'm assuming seeing that I use Chromium that the Chrome section would be for me. I'll dig around on there site and see what I can come up with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No it shouldn't effect playback, I've used adblock for years, wouldn't use firefox without it!

Beans

Thanks for the reply SlugSlug. I haven't used firefox in a while. I use to like it a lot and then that dropped off and I started to use Chrome and haven't looked back since. I hate it here at work where I have to use IE7, yes they haven't updated to 8 yet.

Beans

I will just echo what SlugSlug said.
    I use firefox 8.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Adblock has never given me any problems with youtube or dailymotion.

Sometimes video streaming slows right down but I find by clearing my cache normally corrects this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Commercial streaming sites like Hulu will complain if you try to watch videos with AdBlock Plus enabled. On some sites the video won't play at all. You can easily solve the problem by right-clicking the ABP stop-sign button in the browser and choosing "Disable on domain.name" then reloading the page. You'll have to display the ads then, of course.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; December 14th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

Thank you SeijiSensei, I will have to keep that tip in mind.