Thread: VirtualBox inconsistent cd/external hdd recognition.

Beans

VirtualBox inconsistent cd/external hdd recognition.

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04, and installed Virtualbox. I created a Windows XP virtual machine and updated it to SP3 fine. I then installed Office 2010 from DVD, again no problems, and following this I installed iTunes and linked it to my music library on my external hdd, as well as taking the opportunity to copy a few files I wanted over. There were no problems with virtualbox not recognising dvds/external hdds throughout.

However, when I tried to rip a CD to itunes, the virtual machine would not recognise the cd - I checked the mount CD/DVD drive option was ticked and it was. I turned the machine off, had a look for some solutions, and I tried enabling passthrough, as well as a "virtual network" share folder between my OS and the virtual machine. When I turned the machine back on, it wouldn't recognise my external HDD either.

I changed back all of the options to how they originally were but the virtual machine still does not recognise either cds or my external hdd. I'm not sure what changed - is there any chance this is due there being not enough data allocated to the virtual machine?

Thanks for any help

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VirtualBox inconsistent cd/external hdd recognition.

Verify that you have done these:
    - Download and install Extension Pack.
    - Install Guest Additions.
    - Include your user profile in the 'vboxusers' group.
    - Create 'usb' group and include your user profile in that.

Beans

Thanks for the reply,
    I've now done all of the above.
    (problem still persists)
    Last edited by flickerclear17; December 4th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

Also, it may be helpful to know that when I mount the External HDD in virtualbox,
    a. Windows plays "usb connected" notes and USBDeview is aware it is connected to the system but the system neither makes it viewable/accessible nor assigns it a drive letter.
    b. Virtualbox occasionally freezes when the External HDD is currently mounted, and can be unfrozen by unmounting the External HDD.

Beans

Delete
    Last edited by tlcstat; April 13th, 2012 at 03:30 AM.

Beans

tlcstat,

This has made things worse - when using sudo the VM froze on the "windows is starting up" screen. So I reverted back to running it through my own account only to find that the VM is inaccessible. I removed and attempted to readd the VM but got:

"Failed to open virtual machine located in /home/adc/VirtualBox VMs/WindowsXP/WindowsXP.vbox.

Runtime error opening '/home/adc/VirtualBox VMs/WindowsXP/WindowsXP.vbox' for reading: -38 (Access denied.).

/home/vbox/vbox-4.1.6/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[452] (nsresult Machine::init(VirtualBox*, const com::Utf8Str&, const com::Guid*)).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component: VirtualBox
    Interface: IVirtualBox {c28be65f-1a8f-43b4-81f1-eb60cb516e66}"

Any idea how I might fix this?

Beans

Delete
    Last edited by tlcstat; April 13th, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

Don't worry about it.
    But I'm going to hold out for someone to post a solution rather than set it up all over again.

Beans

I managed to find a solution to the ownership access problem here:http://superuser.com/questions/34152...-natty-narwhal

So it's just the problem detailed in my first post that is still present.

Another quirk which seems worth noting - the VM did pick up on a 2GB USB device I mounted (showed it in "My Computer"), but also thought that it was still there some time after I had removed it.
    Last edited by flickerclear17; December 5th, 2011 at 11:28 PM.