Thread: trying to install on a dell dimension 2400. no luck

Beans

trying to install on a dell dimension 2400. no luck

not having any luck. trying to install from the cd that I burned. freezes 1/2 through the install process. any ideas?

also tried booting from the cd which also didnt work. Im new to ubuntu... so Im guessing im doing something wrong?
    100% Mac since 1990!

Beans

Question Re: trying to install on a dell dimension 2400. no luck

cant edit my former post.

it gets to the desktop almost.... install screen still running... still copying files... welcome to ubuntu 11.10.... still copying files... about half way through it stops.... then nothing.... froze up or something? not sure. screen goes black a few seconds... then back to the installing, copying files... I still see the cursor that looks like a CD, but it's no longer spinning like it was... the progress bar under "copying files" no longer seems to move.

it kicked the cd out on reboot so I removed it. so the cd isnt needed to finish the install?
    Last edited by macgig; November 23rd, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
    100% Mac since 1990!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: trying to install on a dell dimension 2400. no luck

The Dell dimension 2400 is too old to learn new tricks. The original RAM was 256Mb means lower than the 500Mb which is the limit for Ubuntu. If you upgraded the RAM then there is a problem with the processor.

In any case try to make a bootable USB because maybe your CD is not OK.

Beans

Re: trying to install on a dell dimension 2400. no luck

Quote Originally Posted by BC59 View Post
    The Dell dimension 2400 is too old to learn new tricks. The original RAM was 256Mb means lower than the 500Mb which is the limit for Ubuntu. If you upgraded the RAM then there is a problem with the processor.

In any case try to make a bootable USB because maybe your CD is not OK.

I have 500mb ram... but I'll try what you said. thank you for the fast help.
    100% Mac since 1990!