Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Exclamation Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Hi, i saw this was a common problem (kind of) My screen is just blank blinking in black, but id cant see any cursor. It all started with my sudo su + su that did not work in any way, i solved that problem by using my live usb and changed permissions to 0444 or something like that, (solved sudo su + su problem everything was fine at first start) then i installed some updates and now as i described above.

    the only command that do works is Ctrl+Alt+Del. I still can edit everything from live usb. (I cant re install my computer since i got 1,5 TB important files.) Please help me!

    Is is possible to update to 10.10 with live usb? i cant risk to drop all my files. that's the only backup and can't afford to buy a new drive since prices went up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Welcome to the forums!

    1. Back up your important files to an external drive. No sane forum member is going to recommend that you skip this step.
    2. "sudo su + su" is not a recommended or supported command, read here for more info.
    3. Which files exactly did you change the permission of? File permissions are a complex topic, each file and folder must have the correct permissions for your Linux system to operate correctly. If you have really changed your permissions to 0444 system-wide then everything is now read-only and probably ruined.
    4. I would recommend a full reinstall of Ubuntu after you've completed Step 1.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

    1.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Back up your important files to an external drive. No sane forum member is going to recommend that you skip this step.
    2. "sudo su + su" is not a recommended or supported command, read here for more info.
    3. Which files exactly did you change the permission of? File permissions are a complex topic, each file and folder must have the correct permissions for your Linux system to operate correctly. If you have really changed your permissions to 0444 system-wide then everything is now read-only and probably ruined.
    4. I would recommend a full reinstall of Ubuntu after you've completed Step 1.

    The thing is that i don't have a external drive and the prices in Sweden are to hig for me to buy one, i rather drop all my files and start over than buy a hdd...

    # sudo su - was not working
    #su
    Password: - When i enter the correct password it gives me
    Authentication failure

    so i read on a forum that it was a permission problem as the words "Authentication failure" tells me as well.
    And that 04XX something don't remember exactly should solve my problem and it did
    The only file is changed permission for was "/usr/bin/sudo"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Asia
    Beans
    170
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    are you using a wubi installation ..?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattish View Post
    it was a permission problem as the words "Authentication failure" tells me as well.
    And that 04XX something don't remember exactly should solve my problem and it did
    [/FONT]The only file is changed permission for was "/usr/bin/sudo"
    Excellent, be sure to mark your thread as (solved) and welcome to the forums!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Angry Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Now i dropped all my files and have a fresh install of ubuntu 10.04 and the problem resists, what can i do? hardware related? :S

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    when i changed my permissions it only worked for one start not more... problem is still not solved...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattish View Post
    when i changed my permissions it only worked for one start not more... problem is still not solved...
    There is no reason to change the permissions of /etc/sudoers. I highly recommend against changing permissions of system files!

    As far as I can tell, the only "problem" is that you are using the garbage command "sudo su + su" instead of reading the instructions.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    There is no reason to change the permissions of /etc/sudoers. I highly recommend against changing permissions of system files!

    As far as I can tell, the only "problem" is that you are using the garbage command "sudo su + su" instead of reading the instructions.
    no, i used "sudo su" to install a lot of things and was tired of witing sudo before everything, so i used sudo su, it worked flawless then it just stopped working, all of a sudden. and after the problem occurred i didn't change any permissions, i just installed stuf such as php5, apache, and some other stuff. then when i installed updates, the update manager wanted me to reboot so i did, turned out it was not such a good idea, it was after restart sudo stopped working, so i read on some forum some were that it was this permission problem that was able to be solved thru live cd/usb and turned out that their guide was working just fine, sudo was working again and then i turned of the computer. The next day it went black screen to screen of and so on... Now i re-installed with 10.04 same as before and problem turns out on first boot, i have checked that the screen is working, thru my laptop. and tried to change screen on the ubuntu pc same problems there (CRT screen, if any help.)

    I would never change system files unless i do have problems with it, which i have.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Beans
    7,749

    Re: Ubuntu 10.04 TLS

    "sudo su" is not recommended or supported on these forums. If you insist on not following the instructions, and you break your system, nothing I can do to help. Sorry.

    ps It sounds like you may also be having a video driver problem. I'd suggest starting a new thread with details such as your video card manufacturer and model number.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •